cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 11d Duplication to tape problem

NoelM
Level 3

We are running Backup Exec 11d rev 7170 on SBS 2003 SP2 on a HP Proliant ML 310 G4

BE 11d has been backing up to tape (HP StorageWork DAT 72 USB) since new (July 2007) successfully.

We now have a tape capacity and backup time window problem.

We have recently installed an additional hard disk drive (Z:) in the server to reduce the backup time and as a step towards increasing our backup capacity.

We are still to make a decision on the type of disk based external storage we will use.

In the mean time we are attempting to backup to the new internal hard disk drive then duplicate that backup to tape.

A policy to create a backup to disk (slow moving files) was created and runs successfully weekly.

Other policies have been created to backup to disk and run successfully.

However, any policy created which attempts to do both backup to disk and duplication to tape fails.

The failure is by the server becoming completely unresponsive (hanging) soon after the policy generated job starts.

The only way we have found to recover from this failure is to kill the server by holding in the server power button for 10 seconds.

An examination of the server event logs reveals no clues as to the cause of the failures.

Any assistance with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In your policy, is the duplicate template set to start after the backup template completes and in the duplicate template, is the schedule set to Run only according to the rules for this template?

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi,

So I presume when tying to make a new policy with 2 template one to backup to disk & one to tape backupexec goes unresponsive or when you to run the duplicate backup job to tape backupexec goes unresponsive

Also please let me know events in application tab of event viewer at that time so that I can give some steps

Thank You

NoelM
Level 3

I can confirm a backup and a duplicate template and a template rule "After backup template completes, start duplicate template". The duplicate template schedule type is run according to rule.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi 

It would be really hard for anyone to help on this is you don't post relevant errors or events in application tab at that time to understand what is going on 

Also do backupexec hang's during making this policy or when you are actually running this job

Thank You

NoelM
Level 3

1. Part of my original description of the problem should have read as follows:-

"However, any policy created which attempts to do both backup to disk and duplication to tape fails." 

That is, the jobs created by the policy fail.

"The failure is by the server becoming completely unresponsive (hanging) soon after the policy generated job starts."

2. There is nothing I consider significant in the application event log around the time of failure. You may have some suggestion as to which applications might be involved in the failure.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi 

Thanks for your response , if there is no application event in application tab please can post the job log for the failures

You can look for .net events or look for any error at that time stamp in application tab

Thank You

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried running a job (not generated from a policy) with the same settings as the backup template and using the same selection list?  If so, does it run normally?

You might also want to go the BE installation directory and use BEUtility to repair the BE database.

NoelM
Level 3

Thank you for your further response.

I've spent far too many hours on this one already and am beginning to think resources might be better allocated in going for a Backup Exec upgrade to the latest version.

The last failure occurred within seconds of the job starting.

I have attached the job log and the job history for that failure.

The only Application Event log entries around that time are in the 3rd file attached.

I have applied the recent Microsoft VSS hotfix but have yet to restart the server and try another backup. Unfortunately we are in a production environment.

As before, any further idea's or comments you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi 

thank you for the information & I will check it out & update u soon, Is backupexec 11d with sp5 

Thank You

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I think you should upgrade.  BE 11d is already end-of-life.

NoelM
Level 3

Yes BackupExec 11d installation is with SP 5 and Hot Fix 70.

NoelM
Level 3

I tried another test backup/duplicate job last night.

It would appear that the server hangs at around the time the Exchange portion of the backup starts. See JobLog20110125_1705.txt attached for the job that failed.

As a comparison I've attached a pdf of the job log of a recent conventional backup to tape which was successful. See JobLog20110124_2200.pdf

I have also attached the an export list of the Application and System Events around the time of the latest unsuccessful backup/duplicate.

Finally, I've also attached Test2PolicyConfiguration.rtf which is the policy of the failing job.

Any comment or input for a solution would be appreciated.

NoelM
Level 3

Hi pkh,

Thanks for your further suggestions.

I have run the BEUtility to repair the BE database successfully with nothing indicating any problems.

The only difference I can see between the successfully running straight backup to tape jobs and the policy created Test Job is that in the Microsoft Exchange Settings, the "Perform consistency check ..." tickbox is not ticked for the job that runs successfully but is ticked for the policy created job.

I will try another policy created Test Job tonight with the above tickbox unticked.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Thanks for all the logs & looking at application in event log you can try on the thing by looking at the link below

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930800

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910250

Keep posted

Thank You