cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 11d help with robotics library - after tape malfunction

markl
Level 2
I'm upto date with live update patches and my 2 library M2 drives are recognized however after a tape failure during an operation the server thinks the server software reports the tape is still in the drive. The tape is not occupied in the drive, but I manually had to remove the tape as it would not eject. When I go through the drive status on the LCD it tells me that the cart status is empty. Any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3

amaxi
Level 3
Try disabling the drives within Backup Exec and deleting. Close Backup Exec stop and start all Backup Exec services. Launch Backup Exec and check devices.

Patty_McGowan
Level 6
Employee
Hi Mark,

I would also recommend power cycling the library.
If you can shut down the server, shut down the library and then bring the library backup.
Allow it to fully initialize and then bring the server back up.

Patty

markl
Level 2
Thanks for your suggestions; the problem was resolved but it went a little deeper that this. Your suggestions were right on the money, and worth every penny I might add. ;)
  After powering down the server and both attached libraries, re-seating all cables (both ends) and applying the latest driver library driver update, I did have to delete the robotic library definitions and after rebooting the server the Library devices were once again recognized and without the phantom tape identified in the drive. The devices were then re-labeled as they we re-numbered sequentially; First Library 1, First Tape Drive 2, Second Library 3, Second Tape Drive 4,  and then re-associated the devices to the job profiles per media set and life is good again in the land of archival.
 The two libraries were identical, but one was set for emulation mode and the other was not. This caused two drivers to be loaded and one was a little older than the second. I guess when the tape failed, the drive did not know how to recover.

Thanks for your assistance.
I wish everyone had as good a result as I have had with Ver 11.
Keep up the good work.