Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 11d memory leak

kennyb
Level 5

Hello everyone,

I cannot find the answer to this.

I am using BE 11d with SP5 installed and there is a memory leak on our Exchange 2k3 server for the remote agent.

If I don't manually restart the service, the memory use for the exchange remote agent can grow up to over 1gig use so now this is a daily task I have to take care of.

I had SP3 installed on BE 11d before and I thought that was supposed to resolve this, so I installd SP5 and the same issue remains.

I skipped over SP4 becuase all those fixes were supposed to be included in SP5.

I know this has been an issue for BE before, has anyone found an actual solution for this?

thanks

Ken

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

What build of v11 are you running

I don't remember any problems like this with b7170

teiva-boy
Level 6

THis is an obvious question, but just have to ask...  You've updated the backupExec server to the SP5 build as you've stated.  Have you re-pushed out the remote agent after upgrading the BE server?

As an aside, If there is a known memory leak issue; your only remedy may be to upgrade to a more current and supported version of BE.  11d is from circa 2003/2004.  You've missed out on 12, 12.5, 2010, and now 2012.  (Though 12.5 and 2010 is my favorite and more stable builds)

kennyb
Level 5

I just reinstalled the remote agent and I'll monitor the memory usage during backup.

I have been reading much about this and it's a well known issue for v 11.x and symantec claims that SP3 was supposed to resolve it which it didn't, so I updated to SP5 which stated in the release notes there was a fix for the memory leak.

We don't want to spend the $$ right now for a new BE server along with multiple agents that we would need.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...also consider either turning off your AV during the backup, or putting in exclusions for the BE services and see if this helps at all...