cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 SP3 backing up Exchange 2007 SP1 UR10 direct to tape failing - MAPI error

Noah_Adams
Level 4
Sure you haven't heard this one before...

Running BE12.5 SP3 on Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2
Running Exchange 2007 SP1 Update Rollup 10 Mailbox Role only on Windows Server 2008 R2 (CAS and HT role on separate box - not being backed up)
I have a separate account set up for backup permissions, with a mailbox, not hidden, Exchange Server Admin rights, Exchange Server local Admin group rights, active, verified working, domain admin, etc etc

Backup to disk works, and I can then run a duplicate job to tape (although I cannot restore from these - that's another thread). But if I run a backup directly to tape, I get the wonderfully vague error of "Cannot log on to MAPI with the specified credentials. Review the resource credentials for the job, and then run the job again." The backup does have data matching the size of my information store.

I've gone through the steps on http://support.veritas.com/docs/311718 , and I cannot find anything wrong. I've verified that the MAPI/CDO is loaded on the Exchange Server. I've verfied that the Exchange Management Tools are loaded on the Backup Server, and that they are also at Update Rollup 10 level. TCP/IP 6 is disabled on both servers via the registry entry. Information store is at the top of the selections list.

I'm really beating my head against the wall here. I have a Case # open with Symantec, but I waited 45 minutes on hold listening to horribly distorted "music" before I gave up and hung up.

Can anyone give me any tips that maybe aren't mentioned in the numerous tech docs that I've been digging through? I think I touched on everything I've tried above...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Noah Adams
Wise Foods, Inc
2 REPLIES 2

Martin_Forster1
Level 5

Hi,

this error is misleading. start the sgmon.exe for better error messages.

it could be for example a disk space problem with the temporary grt folder.

Regards

Noah_Adams
Level 4
Symantec's official response is that backing up databases hosted on a Windows 2008 R2 server is not supported by BE12.5, and that I must upgrade to 2010 to get any support in making these jobs work.

Upon running SGMON, I see two potential issues in the logging. One was that it was backing up NTFS files before the information store, even though I had the information store listed first in the selection list. I recreated the job without those NTFS files (they were fairly insignificant anyway), and I'm re-running the job now.

The second thing I noticed in the logs, is that even though I have a special logon account specified for all of the components in the selection list (the logon account that's been set up with a mailbox, etc, for BE to use), it's still logging on with our default logon account instead of the one I've specified. Why won't it listen?