cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 - Services fail after a reboot

Bruno_Villeneuv
Level 4

Hi,

I am facing an odd problem after a reboot of my Win2003 server. Once a week, the server reboots for maintenance reasons. Sometimes, it loses power because it's a mining company down the forest so the power can be an issue. Once this happens, the server reboots by itself but the BE services won't. Especially Job Engine and the Device & Media services. I can start them manually just fine. Sometimes, I have to enter the password again in the logon as service fields.

In the eventvwr, i can't see two errors after a reboot. Both ID 33808 saying this:

Une erreur s'est produite lors du traitement d'une commande B2D.
 Changer: SetUpProperties() GetDiskFreeSpace failed (G:\VERITAS\B2D\).  Error=3 

The other one says:

Changer: MoveMedium() Attempt to Lock Slot Failed (G:\VERITAS\B2D\Folder.lck).  Error=3 

I'm not sure if it's related to B2D directly because he is probably not able to see it because of the Device & Media service not started. When all services run fine, my backups are taken either on tape or NAS.

I have seen on another thread that it might resolve by putting the service on Automatic (Delayed) but unfortunatly, i'm not on SBS or 2008 so, no option available for that. I'm wondering if I could do a little script that would restart the services after a complete reboot but i'm not a pro in this department.

If anybody can shed some light on this, i would be grateful.enlightened

Thank you. Bruno
7 REPLIES 7

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

you can use the bestart.bat in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec

Bruno_Villeneuv
Level 4

Thanks that's exactly what i was looking for. 

I will give a shot and update.

Bruno_Villeneuv
Level 4

Hey, just an update here to the problem. My server rebooted with a task last sunday night 11pm and the services are down at the moment. 

Specificaly, these services are: 

Backup Exec Agent Browser
Backup Exec Device & Media Service
Backup Exec Job Engine
Backup Exec Server

Indeed, all the services that should start with DOMAIN\be-adm (stands for Backup Exec Administrator) are stopped. This user has Logon as services rights and all the stuff suggested in a best practices article.

In details, related to BE, here is what I have in the Application logs after the 11pm reboot:

Information 23:00:11   MSSQL$BKUPEXEC   17147
SQL Server is terminating because of a system shutdown. This is an informational message only. No user action is required.

Warning 23:05:50   SQLBrowser   3
The configuration of the AdminConnection\TCP protocol in the SQL instance BKUPEXEC is not valid.

Information 23:05:50   SQLBrowser   16
The SQLBrowser is enabling SQL instance and connectivity discovery support.

Information 23:05:50   SQLBrowser   12
The SQLBrowser service has started.

Nothing special in the AD and System logs despite the fact it rebooted after a Scheduled task with my admin account creds.

EDIT: I'm wondering if by stopping all BE services before the reboot occurs will do the trick .. I'm gonna try that and update. If you have any suggestion meanwhile...

Bruno_Villeneuv
Level 4

Sorry about the late update. I was kinda busy these last days.

Still the problem occurs even if i started a script before a reboots (to shutdown all services) and on restart, start all services .. It seems there is a timing process which affects the way the services react.

It looks like the server boots "too fast" for the network to arrive then BE services won't know who is this user that has rights to start them .. 

I'm wondering about the policy that consists in "Waiting for the network .." you know? But this applies to workstations .. not quite sure about a DC lol

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

If you know the time when the schedule reboot would happen then set the scheduled task to run at a particular time rather than on server start up. Also I think the policy is valid for workstations also. You can try that and see if that helps by any chance

Bruno_Villeneuv
Level 4

The problem is that power is an issue at this site .. sometimes the server can loose power and then power back on by itself once the juice is back.

Fortunatly, my VMs are back online just fine but this server is problematic. I'm wondering if I could install BE on Win2008R2 but my tape library is physically on the "old" physical server so i think i'm screwed for this part too.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Server 2008 R2 is not supported as a media server for BE 12.5.  You need at least BE 2010 R3 for that.