cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 not backing up terminal services directory

jlgonya
Level 3

When trying to do a restore of the terminal services licensing database, it was discovered that there were no files being backed up in the C:\windows\system32\lserver.  It showed that the directory export under that directory was being backed up, but no files.  AOF is turned on with automatically select open file technology.  The terminal services licensing database is on a 2003 server.  Is there a different option I need to set?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jlgonya
Level 3

I tried a redirected restore of the system state, and neither the terminal services directory or files were there.  I have been backing up everything except the Shadow Copy Components, so I looked to see what was listed under there, and that is where I found the option to back up the terminal services licensing.  That is not at all what I thought the Shadow Copy Components were.  At least I know now what to back up for now on.  I will have to try to see if I can get my licenses reissued.  This server was bought back with a total IDR, but the license server ID number is different now.  I have the original one written down and the original certificate in a pdf so hopefully I can get them reissued.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

It might be because this area constitutes part of the System State and is therefore silently excluded from the file system backup of the C: drive

If you have a system state backup try redirect restoring it to a temp folder on a local volume of the Backup Server - and then have a look in the folder structure of what has been restored to see if you can find it.

If it is there, then the correct method of restore would be during a complete DR of the server and by restoring the whole System State - however if the redirect suggestion does recover a file that you can do something with manually / outside of Backup Exec then maybe you can get it back from that anyway.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Verbatim from - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh553160%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

When backing up a Terminal Server license server, back up the System State and Repair data, and the %systemdrive%\system32\lserver directory. Doing this ensures that data in both the registry and the license server database is backed up.

jlgonya
Level 3

I tried a redirected restore of the system state, and neither the terminal services directory or files were there.  I have been backing up everything except the Shadow Copy Components, so I looked to see what was listed under there, and that is where I found the option to back up the terminal services licensing.  That is not at all what I thought the Shadow Copy Components were.  At least I know now what to back up for now on.  I will have to try to see if I can get my licenses reissued.  This server was bought back with a total IDR, but the license server ID number is different now.  I have the original one written down and the original certificate in a pdf so hopefully I can get them reissued.