cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 on Server 2008

Headcase_Fargon
Level 2

Alright, I've searched the forums.   I've Googled the issue endlessly.  I'm at the end of my rope here.

We're currently running BE 11d on a Server 2003 machine.  We recently freed up a server that's running Server 2008 and I thought to myself, "What better opportunity to try a newer version of BE?"  So I downloaded a trial of 12.5 and went to install it.  The machine is running Server 2008 SP1 Enterprise Edition, for what it's worth.

When I try to install, the "Install Backup Exec software and options" select is greyed out.  The only options I'm given are "Install Remote Administrator Console only" or Remote Install.  Neither of which does me much good.

Great, I think to myself.  Is Server 2008 not supported?  Apparently it is, because this trial installs just fine on another machine running 2008 Enterprise Edition.  The only difference being it's SP2 rather than SP1.

What's the deal here?  "install backup exec software and options greyed out" is a Google-suggested search, for crying out loud.  Obviously other people are having this issue.  But I'm not seeing a solution anywhere.  The only reference to 2008 issues I come across are installing the remote agent.

Anyone?

Edit: I should note that the environment check comes up all green except for two items of Symantec up-selling antivirus and endpoint protection, whatever that is.

6 REPLIES 6

kevin_c
Level 4
 Simple question here but are they both the same bit os? Is it possible you are trying to run the 32 bit install on a 64 bit machine or a 64bit install on 32 bit machine?

I have bexec 12.5 running on a 2008 machine I believe SP1 (not 100%) and it has given me no problems. I know this is a 64 bit machine and I had to DL the 64 bit version of the bexec software.

Thanks
Kevin

Headcase_Fargon
Level 2
Both 32bit, sorry I didn't mention that in the original post.  It still won't let me install even after upgrading the server to SP2.

Headcase_Fargon
Level 2
Well, I can't find a solution to this issue anywhere, even though others are obviously running into it as evidenced by Google searches.  Time to start looking into other backup solutions...

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Is a remote agent installed on the 2008 Server?  Also might want to try going to Backup Exec 2010 instead of 12.5.

Osborne
Level 4
Have you installed any license keys?

I was talking to Symantec Support last month and they told me R2 is not supported (which is only 64-bit) by 12.5 and I needed to wait for 2010.

Backup Exec 12.5 supports pre-R2 2008, but not server core. Here is the Software Compatibility List and here are some caveats from ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Backup_Exec_for_WindowsNT/308993.pdf.
You cannot install a Backup Exec media server on a computer that
runs the Windows Server Core installation option of Windows Server
2008. You can only install the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows
Systems on Server Core computers.

You cannot install SQL Express or SQL Server 2005 on a Windows
Server 2008 computer that is configured in a Read Only Domain
Controller (RODC) role. The Read Only Domain Controller role does
not allow you to use the local accounts which are required for SQL
Express and SQL Server 2005. When you install Backup Exec on an
RODCcomputer you must select a remote SQL instance for the Backup Exec database.

Regards

Headcase_Fargon
Level 2
Downloaded the trial of BE 2010.  Same problem.  Local install is greyed out.

I've tried it on two 2008 servers.  One Enterprise, one Standard.  One SP1, one SP2.  Both 32bit.

I even tried it on a desktop running 7 and the same deal.  It seems newer versions of BE will ONLY install on 2003 for me.