cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5/sp3 vs IBM HH LTO Gen 2

Dmitry_Esarev
Level 4
The tape device is seen by BE, but when i try to backup to it or run inventory, the device goes offline.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dmitry_Esarev
Level 4
those items was not available.
I'v used IBM ITDT to erase the tape, then re-run inventory and then. i could quick erase the tape and backup files to it
thank 2 all, the problem have solved

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1) IBM should have a diagnostic tool.  Run that and verify that there is no problems with the tape drive.

2) in BE, go to Tools - Wizards ---> Device Configuration Wizard to re-install the drivers.

3) Power off both the server and the tape drive.

4) Power up the tape drive

5) Power up the server.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Check the System log in the  Windows event viewer, if you are getting event id's like 5,7,9,11 or 15 refer to the below link  

http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501

Dmitry_Esarev
Level 4
I'v updated the firmware and the tape passed inventory. I assossiated a found media with manually created test media and tryied to backup a file. The tape constantly ejects when i try to push it back 

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Your tape may be write protected.  Either associate it with the scratch media set or change the overwrite protection period of the media set that it belongs to so that it can be overwritten.

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Before some years, one of my customers changed 3 IBM LTO drives and then he found that he was using cleaning tapes.
Check the tapes for cleaning or incompatible media.
Also if the tape drive is overheated it will have a behavior like this.

Dmitry_Esarev
Level 4
Before ejecting the media, i see information event:

Media is unrecognized.

The media in drive 'IBM 1' is written in an unrecognized format. Erase the media to make it usable.

I cannot erase the media because this item is not available under the "device and media operations", the only available item is "catalogue media" which gives nothing because when  trying to run the catalogue task, the media ejects

this media is OK and it was used before on the same tape drive just with IBM tivoly software

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You said that your tape drive is LTO2.  What are the tapes that you are trying to use?  If they are LTO3, LTO4 or LTO5, then your drive cannot read/write to them.

Dmitry_Esarev
Level 4
it is LTO2

pkh
   VIP    Certified
this item is not available under the "device and media operations",

What version of BE are you running?

For the current version, to erase the tape

1) put it in the tape drive

2) go to the Devices tab

3) right-click on the tape drive.  You should see erase there.

Dmitry_Esarev
Level 4
those items was not available.
I'v used IBM ITDT to erase the tape, then re-run inventory and then. i could quick erase the tape and backup files to it
thank 2 all, the problem have solved