cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12.5 with SSO, CASO, NMDP agents; NetApp connected via Brocade 200E FC switch

agcastle2000
Level 3

Hi,

I am currently trying to understand the way BE 12.5 (with SSO, CASO, NMDP agents) is setup in my new company. I've worked with BE from 9.1 - 11d back in my old company but never had experience with SAN, SSO or CASO.

I can see from the back of the cabinets that the 2 NetApp servers have FC HBAs connected to Brocade 200E FC switch. The CASO/BE Media Server and the tape library are also connected to the same FC switch. I'm told that with this setup, backing up of NetApps will be faster as it will use the FC connectivity.

Is the backup to these NetApp devices still go through LAN or throught the faster SAN (Brocade FC switch)?

Just to give you an idea. In one backup job (backing up shared folders of NetApp) the job rate is 3,614.72 MB/Min. 

Grateful if someone provide more info.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

You need to log onto each Brocade switch, and go into the zoning. Look through the zones created (if they are done correctly, they are going to be named intuitively). You will need to know:

1. Either the switch port your devices are plugged into;
2. Your WWN (if you haven't created an alias)

Check the zone, and if the devices are in a particular zone, they are correct.
Another way would be to log onto your backup server/s and check that you can see the device in Windows Device Manager.

Laters!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

teiva-boy
Level 6
 So with NDMP over FC, BE tells the filer to move LUN X to SCSI address Y (which is your tape drive)

BE is the manager of the tape drive resources, so it can tell the filer which drive is free at the time the scheduled job kicks off.

That said, you'll need to zone your library so that the filer can see it as well through your switches.  

If you do remote NDMP, traffic goes over the LAN through the media server, to tape.  What I propose above, is the filer direct to tape, over the FC fabric.  Also known as 3-way NDMP.

agcastle2000
Level 3
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Is there a way to find out if the library had been zoned?

How would I check that with the current setup the backup of NetApp Filer goes directly or NOT to tape?

The NetApp Filers, FC switches and the Backup Exec software are supplied and implemented by one company. Aside from gaining the knowledge mysefl, I want to make sure that it has been implemented properly and that we used all these resources to the best of its capability.

Cheers

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

You need to log onto each Brocade switch, and go into the zoning. Look through the zones created (if they are done correctly, they are going to be named intuitively). You will need to know:

1. Either the switch port your devices are plugged into;
2. Your WWN (if you haven't created an alias)

Check the zone, and if the devices are in a particular zone, they are correct.
Another way would be to log onto your backup server/s and check that you can see the device in Windows Device Manager.

Laters!

agcastle2000
Level 3
Hi,

I managed to find the WWN using SANsurfer utility which is installed in the BE server.

For the zoning, I need to get the username and password of the Brocade switch first from the consultant and get back to you. In Windows Device Manager, I can see Medium Changer (Unknown Medium Changer), QLogic FCA and two IBM Ultrium TD-4 SCSI Tape drives.

It is probably properly zoned then. Right?

Thanks.

teiva-boy
Level 6
 That just means that your BE server is zoned correctly.  You'll also need to make sure the Filer can see the changer and drives as well.  This way via NDMP BE can tell the Filer to send data over FC directly to the changer.