cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 12 AOFO option with Exchange, Transaction Logs dont get flushed

Vinay_S
Level 3
Hello all,

We installed a new copy of BE 12 on a brand new server and have been using it for over 10-12 days now (we moved to a new server; completely uninstalled BE 11d from the old server which will be used for something else).  All backups are going fine; all agents/options on client servers have been upgraded and client servers were rebooted correctly.  However, I have noticed something strange with Exchange backups.  A brief description follows:

Initially for the first 3 days after installing BE 12, I wasnt using AOFO with Exchange (we had installed the AOFO agent on Exchange server, but werent using it in the backup job.. the AOFO option wasnt checked).  For those 3 days, my Exchange backups kept "completing with exceptions"... the files ntuser.dat, ntuser.dat.log, userclass.dat and userclass.dat.log kept getting skipped with an "unable to open item" warning.  During this time, I didnt have a problem wtih tran logs, they were getting flushed fine.

On the 4th day, I turned on the AOFO option for Exchange backup job to get rid of the warning messages. Sure enough, Exchange backups are now completing successfully without skipping any files.  But now for the past week, the transaction logs are not getting flushed anymore!  Settings for AOFO: -Automatically select open file technology: selected. -Process logical volumes for backup one at a time: checked.

Does anyone know why this is happenning!!!??  Any help is greatly appreciated.

For now, I am unchecking the AOFO option and will check the Exchange backups tomorrow morning to confirm.  Will report back here with my findings.

Thanks a bunch!

2 REPLIES 2

Vinay_S
Level 3
An update to the above issue:

As expected, the transaction logs got flushed when I unchecked the AOFO option; however, the Exchange job had the same exceptions as described previously.

The following day, I turned on AOFO option again, but did not select "Process logical volumes for backup one at a time".  Now backups are completing succesfully with no exceptions, AND exchange transaction logs are also getting flushed correctly!

Vijay_S_Mishra
Level 6
Employee Certified
PLease refer to : http://support.veritas.com/docs/280659