cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 15 Changes one tape to WEEKLY

erickt
Level 3

This problem has been around since Backup exec 2012 or even earlier, but I format a set of 6 tapes for the monthly run, set associate with media set to "Monthly" for each tape.   I come back over the weekend and find tape 3 changed to "Weekly".   Nobody else accesses the tape system or makes any changes, just me.   I'm running BE15 with everything up to date including the agents.   This becomes a problem because 1 tape set to weekly will end up firing off a weekly job instead of a monthly and I have to run the affected monthly job that didn't run as a result.

What is going on here?  When will Veritas fix this longstanding bug?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DarthBilly
Level 5
Employee

No bug here. You need to let Backup Exec associate the tapes.

When you create a job, you choose a Media Set (by default one is chosen for you). You can select any media set you desire. BE moving a tape to a desired media set is automatic. Just make sure you pick the correct media set for the job.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

DarthBilly
Level 5
Employee

No bug here. You need to let Backup Exec associate the tapes.

When you create a job, you choose a Media Set (by default one is chosen for you). You can select any media set you desire. BE moving a tape to a desired media set is automatic. Just make sure you pick the correct media set for the job.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

To add do DarthBilly's answer

Media Sets are not fixed containers for forcing jobs to only use specific media, all media sets really do is make sure that the correct Append and Ovewrite period are applied and stop tapes from being used too early

The tapes themselves can move between media sets if there is no suitable media available in the various locations a job might search - this only happens when looking for overwriteable media and there is an excelent set of tables and diagrams in a section in the admin guide that explains how BE decides to choose media to overwrite.

Basically there is a defined order as to how BE searches for usuable (overwritable)  tapes, where the search order can be adjusted with setting changes in the console, but at the end of the day every possible combination of settings does contain a choice of "Recycleable media in any media set"  which bascially means if it does not find a suitabel tape before this is the next applicable search then it wil look in other media set anmnw will move a tape to a the set defined in the job if it finds a usable tape in another set at that point in time

The reason we have this is that experience has shown that if you start a backup it is usually better to find a way to let the backup run than miss a backup completely just because BE was not allowed to use a tape that was available.  This design ethos has been part of Backup Exec for over 10 years

If you want to force josb to only use specific sets of tapes then you have ot look a library slot partitioning - but be aware that use of such  a strategy is likely to cause more jobs to fail (or sit requesting media inserts)  so is only a good idea if you can ake sure every partition always has enough usuable tapes for each days jobs.

I do use partitions.  The problem seems to have gone away in the latest feature pack.