cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 15, Client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but could not be used.

Matto81
Level 4

Hello,

I have backup exec 15 and hp storeonce 4500 configured with OST.

Client-side deduplication is enabled on storage. Also enabled on server jobs. OST plugin is installed on BE server.

I still get this error "Client-side deduplication is enabled for this job, but it could not be used."

I read from some document that remoted agent should be configured for client-deduplication but I can't find any option for that?

How could I fix this?

-Matti

12 REPLIES 12

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The remote server needs to be connected to the dedup appliance and the OST plug-in needs to be installed.

Matto81
Level 4

I installed OST plugin to remote server but same error appears.

Matto81
Level 4

What do you mean about "remote server needs to be connected to dedup appliance?"

How do I do that? On that remote server I have now BE Agent and OST plugin installed.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

By connected, it means the remote server must be able to directly access the storage device. Was the remote agent service restarted ?

Have a look @ this KB article also - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH77683.html

Matto81
Level 4

Yes I restarted the server after plugin install. This article I have gone trough many times. 

On server direct access properties I have correct logon account. State is online. Dedup appliance accepts all clients.

I think this might be the reason but I can't find where to configure that? I have installed normal agent to windows trough "install agents to other servers wizard".

"The Remote Agent for Windows on the remote computer has not been configured as a Remote Agent with Deduplication;"

There is no such options like these in BE 15,

[ II ] Configure the Remote Agent with Deduplication on the agent that is being backed up.

1. Go to the Devices tab in Backup Exec console.
2. Right click on the media server node in question and select the Add Remote Agent for Deduplication menu item.
3. Specify the Server Name for the Remote Agent that is being configured and select Ok.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
What you are talking about is only applicable if you are using the BE dedup folder. You are using a dedup appliance. To use client-side dedup with a dedup appliance, you must physically connected the dedup appliance to the remote server.

Matto81
Level 4

Ok. So I configure it to server-side dedup. Is this the correct scenario with this setup using OST? 

VJware
Level 6

Verbatim from the DeDup best practices article -

• Use client-side deduplication for all deduplication jobs, except in the following situations:

The remote computer has limited or no resources available to dedicate to the deduplication process during backup jobs.

Your environment contains multi-server configurations of Microsoft SharePoint servers, Microsoft Exchange 2010 DAG servers, and Symantec Enterprise Vault servers.

You want to back up virtual machines with the Agent for VMware.

It is not imperative that when using OST, one has to use server-side dedupe. Client-side dedupe is recommended unless for the above reasons.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

You are using a dedup appliance. To use client-side dedup with a dedup appliance, you must physically connected the dedup appliance to the remote server.

The OP is using OST, which runs over Ethernet.  Can you clarify your "physically connected" comment as I think it is confusing.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

... meaning the remote server must be able to access the OST appliance independently of the media server.  There must be a physical connection/path between the remote server and the OST appliance.

Matto81
Level 4

So the client-side should work in my case but it doesn't and there is no clear reason for that. Its allways giving me the error but backup still goes trought. What option it uses in that case?

If I select server-side I get very slow Byte count like below 100mb/min. Client-side gives more than 3000Mb/min but gives error.

Everything should be correctly set.

I just don't undestand how this should work and why its giving the error.

-Matti

VJware
Level 6

If client-side cannot be used, then it will switch over to server-side dedupe.

Check adamm.log as well as to why client-side dedupe fails.