cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 15 FP2 backups wrong size

Keiichi
Level 3

Hello!

I've installed a new version of BackupExec 15 FP2 a few days ago and make backups some fileservers.

And what i've got is (look at backups sizes at right corner):

Store_view2.JPG

But here are the actual sizes by job's log:

• Clusterfs1 - full - 150 GB
  • Clusterfs2 - full - 299 GB
  • Fileserver - full - 476 GB

job_log.JPG

How is it possible? How to solve it?

Before it i've used  BE 2014 SP2

Now the only difference in settings of jobs: enabled software compression (in store options, where i select store and server and time to store).

I will test a differense with/out software compression this week and post later.

Thanks for you advices!

14 REPLIES 14

Keiichi
Level 3

In advance.

Sorry, images is too small.

I attached its as a files.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Can't understand Russian...what is the compressed size?

Thanks!

Keiichi
Level 3

CraigV, a brief is:

1) Jobs logs (all are successful, without errors):

• Clusterfs1 - full backup - 150 GByte
  • Clusterfs2 - full backup - 299 GByte
  • Fileserver - full backup - 476 GByte

2) The Disk storage's view -> Backup Sets:

• Clusterfs1 - full backup - 80,8 GByte
  • Clusterfs2 - full backup - 35 GByte
  • Fileserver - full backup - 11,7 GByte

3) The Storage view:

Disk Storage used space is 864 GByte (There are only backups of these 3 servers and a couple of tiny Incrementals of them, around 100-200 MB).

So, it's an error for sure :)

CraigV

So it looks like you're getting 2:1 compression or more, is that correct? Or have you made sure your selections are correct? What disk subsystem are you backing up too? Normal B2D or dedupe?

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are using compression, then the disk storage view numbers can be true.

How do you get the last Storage view number?

Are you backing up to a dedup folder?

Keiichi
Level 3

pkhCraigV, Well, there is no dedublication is used. Dudeb isn't installed at all. It's common B2D local storage.

Compession isn't 2:1. For example 299 GB to 35 GB = 8.54 :1. 
Or, fileserver for example, where a lot of images and scans: 476 GB to 11.7 GB = 40.68 : 1

It would be really fantastic! But it is not true, because the B2D storage a used like it without compression.

And here is a proof: look at attached image. (in backupexec view: 864 GB from 1.31 TB used; and in folder of B2D - 864 GB size (927 865 389 056 byte))

In jobs were selected only data disks (files, folders).

CraigV

I'd then open a support case with Veritas about this so that they can check what's going on. Also check the Known Issues section to see if this is listed as being an issue with BE 15 FP2.

Thanks!

Keiichi
Level 3

CraigV, ok, thanks!

erik_brenna
Level 3

Did you get a sollution for your problem. I have the same problem on my servers. I think software compression is causing it.

Keiichi
Level 3

Hello!

I have no information yet.

I need more time to test it, but yes - i think too it's software copression.

I'm going to test it next 2 weeks. Sorry, it's hot time now.

If you can test too, it would be good!

Thanks!

erik_brenna
Level 3

I will test this the next weeks.

I use a dedup device from Dell, and the same thing happens there. No software compression on in jobs who uses dedup.

But if I go back to the end of October 2015, i can see that the size was ok.

So something happened around that date. I will check if that was when i installed FP2.

I installed FP3 yesterday, and will check after som full backups this weekend if something is different.

erik_brenna
Level 3

I checked on one of my servers now, and two days before the problem/bug started, i installed FP2 remote agent on my file server.

So the problem startet there. Are you in contact with symantec, or should i open a case with my findings.

erik_brenna
Level 3

I have been working with support regarding this case, and here is the answer.

to answer to your question it's not a bug but change cosmetic made from FP1 to FP2 or FP3.

They will continue working on it, but still has now answer on why. I asked for the reason, who I cannot understand.

Why cannot the backup sets show the real size. So this has nothing to do with software compression.

I tested a backup with and without compression, no one showed real size.

I will post here when i get more answers.

For now, right click on backup set and choose details for the real size.

erik_brenna
Level 3

Info from Symantec. Case closed, but nothing changed.

Hi Mr. Erik,

We have already published an article regarding the  The "size" column in the "Backup Set" view no longer reports the compressed size of backup sets after upgrading to Backup Exec FP2 and above.

here is the link for the article : https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000100791

Best Regards
Mehdi