cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 15 Fails to duplicate Most recent full backup

JuergenB
   VIP   

Hi,

i can´t get the duplicate thing work on the BE 15 installation (FP1 is installed, no other updates are available).

I created a plain new backup of a virtual sql server (Hyper-V) with GRT enabled for SQL and with an additional Log backup.

• The full backup to disk run´s from 09:20 - 10:47 and is successful.
  • The catalog thing runs from 10:47 - 11:31 and is successful.
  • The duplicate job runs from 12:30 and has the job status  Skipped.

All data has a retention (Keep for) time of 4 Days ...

This is the error message i receive..

Error category    : Error             : e000e054 - The job was skipped because the source backup job is not present.

I deleted the job definition multiple times and created a new job straight forware, no editing afterwards.

What´s wrong with BE 15?

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...looks like this was an issue with BE 2014, and I'd therefore suggest logging a call directly with Symantec to sort this out:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH228715.html

Thanks!

JuergenB
   VIP   

I have a second job running with a hyper-v guest (Exchange 2013 on Windows 2012 R2).

This one run´s fine...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

if you disable the delayed catalog (which forces an inline catalog) does the duplicate work?

JuergenB
   VIP   

I can check this, need´s some time.

If i manualy start the deduplication and enable debugging, i get this in sgmon.

1          BESERVER      316       16.09.2015 15:24:20      2760     16 JobManager::UpdateJobInstanceData() new task state=22
2          BESERVER      316       16.09.2015 15:24:20      4004     -1 GetSourceImageID() ERROR: script.Get() failed!
3          BESERVER      316       16.09.2015 15:24:20      4004     -1 CLoadBalancer::LoadConfigurationParameters() setting BAL_IGNORE_POTENTIAL_JOB_OVERLOAD
4          BESERVER      316       16.09.2015 15:24:20      4004     -1 CLoadBalancer::LoadConfigurationParameters() setting m_bCASOandSSO = true
5          BESERVER      316       16.09.2015 15:24:21      4004     -1 Dispatcher::loadBalanceTask(Backup 00429 - Virtual Machine - xyz (GRT)-Duplicate) Skipping Job, SourceImageID==GUID_NULL
6          BESERVER      316       16.09.2015 15:24:21      4004     -1 CWorkItem::handleSkippedJob(Backup 00429 - Virtual Machine - xyz (GRT)-Duplicate)

JuergenB
   VIP   

Hi Collin,

i disabled the delayed catalog (no catalog at all).

And it still Skipped the Duplicate to tape.

Same error message.

e000e054 - The job was skipped because the source backup job is not present ...

JuergenB
   VIP   

Has anyone a solution for this problem.

i have a ticket open and several calls from symantec.

But they are still clueless and doing "trial and error" method to find the problem.
Not a professional way to solve this problem.

JuergenB
   VIP   

I still have problems with duplication.

Symantec Backup call´s once a day and asks simple question.

Then after 24 hours later, they call again.
Looks like they only put trainees on Severity 2 tickets ...

What does the RAID Controller and lokal disk have todo with duplication failures?

I have some jobs duplicating fine, but one job will not duplicate.
Even if i recreate the job at all.

sley
Level 2

Was a solution ever found for this?

I have the same exact issue, but with Backup Exec 2014. My backup job (also attempted recreating) is setup with 4 x duplicate jobs - Daily Incremental (at job completion), Weekly, Monthly, Yearly.

The issue went unnoticed for some time because the duplicate job will merrily duplicate a week-old backup instead of the fresh one, despite the Most Recent option being enabled. This problem occurs on only one of four backup jobs, the one with the applications and databases granular recovery option enabled. The other three jobs (setup identically, excepting the applications & databases granular option) work perfectly.

This is quite frustrating. I wonder how many others are having this problem and havn't noticed that it's backup up a slightly older version of their applications and databases backups.

Any help appreciated.

JuergenB
   VIP   

Hi sley,

they didn´t found the culprit for this behavior, but they had a solution to fix this problem.

The problem seems to be a orphan "container id (set)" for this server, the backup set's couldn´t be found by the duplicate job.

The solution was rather simple...

1. delete all backup jobs for this server.
  2. remove the server which backup fails to duplicate from the server list within BE
  3. remove the agent from the server
  4. add the server to the server list, reinstall the agent and establish a new trush with this server
  5. recreate the backup jobs as needed

AND

try not edit the new job to much, try to create it straight forward.

that should do the trick.

Jürgen