Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 15 - GRT restore not working

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi,

I have two server both Windows 2012 R2. 

Server 1 = BE 15

Server 2 = Hyper-V Hosts with 2 VMs (VMs running Win 2012 R2). All file servers. 

I added the second server as a Microsoft Hyper-V Hosts and installed agent for Windows on the two VMs.

Did a Full backup of the hyper-V hosts and all the VMs.

The VMs vhdx are backup but I cannot view or restore the file & folders of each VMs. I did run inventory and catalog.

Am I'm doing something wrong ?

I did observe on the backup and restore windows, I can see the two VMs which I installed the agent for Windows.

Would it be ok just to do a backup on each individual VMs and not through the Hyper-V hosts ? I get an message box if I configure a backup stating I should backup via the virtual host.

----------------------

By the way, if I just backup the whole VHDX, I understand everything will be backup, even third party applications & data which symantec does not support but will be in a crash consistent state ?

Thanks,

Paul

11 REPLIES 11

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you initiate the restore by selecting the Hyper-V host, you will see only complete VMs for restore.

The VMs should be populated under the Backup & Restore tab. Right-click the appropriate VM for restore and you will have the GRT option. Do ensure the Remote Agent is installed inside these VMS.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Are your VHDX GPT and dynamic disks? If so then GRT is not supported. See the SCL below http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH227896 Otherwise, did you expand the individual VM to look for the files? See my article below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-individual-filesfolders-vm-backup If you backup the VM directly, then you are backing them up as of they are physical machines. You would not be able to just restore the VHD to recover the VM. You would need to recover them as if they are physical machines

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi pkh,

Both are MBR and Basic Disks. But they are dynamic expanding disks for hyper-V.

Reviewed your suggestions, I can't still do GRT restore.

Thanks,

Paul

VJware
Level 6

Are the restore options blank for all VMs ?

OR you don't see any restore selections for these VMs ?

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi. VJware, 

If I click the two VMs, the restore is blank

The agent for Windows are installed on the two VMs.  I selected the box "after adding the virtual host, install Back Up Exec Agent for Windows" when I added the hyper-v host. This added VM1 and VM2 under the Backup & Restored colored in light blue.

I did get this exception, Failed to mount one or more virtual disk image. Restores that uses GRT may not be available for this backup set. - After doing my backups.

Thanks,

Paul

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If they are MBR, why do you need to use VHDX? Why didn't you just use VHD?

LegAEI
Level 5

VHDX is the preferred disk type now. They are good with both gen1 and gen2 VM's and also are better for scaling your VM's down the road, whether you use MBR or GPT partitions.

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi. pkh,

By the way I'm using BE15

I created a new VM with VHD hard disk using generation 1 vms.

Still got the same error.

"Failed to mount one or more virtual disk image. Restores that use GRT may not be available for this backup set"

Thanks,

Paul

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check the SCL to make sure that the disk does not violate any of the GRT restrictions.

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi, pkh.

I reinstalled Backup Exec 2014 and the GRT works.

Did the same procedure on the BE 15 edition but could not restore GRT backups.

Thanks,

Paul

VJware
Level 6

If you are getting the exception "Failed to mount one or more virtual disk image. Restores that use GRT may not be available for this backup set", then GRT restore will not be available.

Since you confirm the exact same setup works with BE 2014, but not BE 15, i would recommend you to log a formal support case.