cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 15 fails to backup W2000 VM using BE Agent 2010 R3

topuz
Level 4

After upgrading BE 2012 to BE15, I'm unable to Backup the Windows 2000 VMs using Backup Exec Agent for Windows (the last BE agent supporting W2000 is BE 2010).

When I try to do an Establish Trust in BE it fails:

Calling Method 'SetServerTrust'

BEMSDK Method 'MediaServerAdvertisementUpdate'

BEMSDK Failure Code: E0009B91

The job failed with the following error: An attempt to connect to remote computer has failed. The remote computer is running a previous version of either the Agent for Windows or the Agent for Linux. Due to security enhancements related to SHA-2 certificate migration, the existing trust between the Backup Exec server and the remote computer is lost. You must upgrade the remote agent and then reestablish the trust. Refer to the link below for more information: http://entsupport.symantec.com/umi/V-312-2.

Regards.

3 REPLIES 3

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello,

I believe there’s a strong reason why your company still has a Windows Server 2000! It had reached EoL from Microsoft way back in 2010 and as such Backup Exec had stopped supporting it.

If I am ignoring this incompatibility issue(I am just trying to help) and I look at the error then I’d suggest you to modify the ‘Default Domain Controllers Policy’ by referring to the following link.

The error message is further described in this link

Please Note: Even if the trust is successfully established, no one would be able to guarantee the backup/restore of that server. Considering the risk, I’d strongly suggest you to upgrade to the later (compatible/supportred) version of the Operating System.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

To be honest you should really be finding way to replace whatever is running om Windows 2000 as over time you are just going to run into more and more limited options against that OS and we can't offiically support what you are trying to do any longer.

With regards your issue, I suspect (if it is still possible and I can't confirm that it is) you would have to disable the requirement for Backup Exec to use TLS security between Backup Exec (Media) server and Remote Agent. We did used to have a registry based method to do this BUT this method opens up your whole backup environment to a Man in the Middle Security attack and would have to be done to the Backup Exec server, the Windows 2000 server and all remote agents that are protected by the same Backup Exec server that protects your windows 2000 system. This registry modification has not (as far as I am aware) been used in some time and to be honest may have been blocked by more recent changes in overall Backup Exec security anyway so probably won't work with BE 15.  As disabling this would be a security issue I am not going to post the details - although the information is still available on currently locatable internet pages.

Also as a general reminder to all:  Windows 2003 is also out of support from Microsoft and BE will almost certainly drop official support relatively soon (we already dropped it for the backup Exec server itself.)

topuz
Level 4

Hi All,

Thanks for your comment. The matter is that we are using these old W2000 and W2003 old OS in our Manufacturing, as you may probably know this is not easy to upgrade, because of the old application related to our production are running on that. The upgrade process is more complex in that situation.

So if you have a way to solve this even temporary disabling security or manualy reactivating/registering the certificates, it would be very helpfull.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards.

Ismail Topuz