cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 15 fp 5 backup to the private S3

mmironov
Level 3

I'm currently trying to test configuration with backup to our private S3 which is compatible with Amazaon S3 but unfortunately I am unable to complete it.

here is the list of my actions:

1) configure cloud instance using BE MCLI according to BE MCLI *.chm help. It finishes with success.

2) Configure Cloud Storage using BE GUI. All configuration wizard steps completes with success, wizard even successfully retrieves the list of S3 buckets from the S3 service, and completes the configuration with no error.

3) At the end of configuration BE offers to restart it's services to finalize the cloud storage.

4) After the restart device is still shown as offline. There is an alert at the time of services start:

Unable to connect to to the OpenStorage device. Ensure that the network is properly configured between the device and the Backup Exec server.

For more information, see V-275-1017 on the Symantec Knowledge Base.

However, I was unable to find any useful reference in KB to solve this particular issue.

The main question is to understand what is missing from either configuration steps or S3 itself.

Does anyone know how this can be debugged?

15 REPLIES 15

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you trying to configure a Cloudian Hyperstore Private Cloud-Device or some other make device?

Hi,

I'm trying to configure our own S3-compatible storage.

I was thinking that cloudian is a kind of S3-connector, which could be used to configure any generic S3-compatible storage. Is that correct?

Colin_Weaver

Cloudian is a vendor of storage solutions

Hi Colin,

thanks for your reply.

ok, then it seems I get the documentation wrong.

Hoewer, feature pack 5 release notes states the following:

Spoiler

Backup Exec supports backups to private cloud-based storage devices. Configure a private cloud storage server in your environment, create a cloud instance, and then configure a cloud storage device in Backup Exec for the private cloud storage server. You can now select this cloud storage device as the destination device for backup jobs or duplicate backup jobs.

For more information about cloud-based storage devices and their configuration, see "About cloud-based storage devices" in the Backup Exec 15 Administrator's Guide.

For the list of supported private cloud providers, see the Backup Exec Hardware Compatibility List at the following URL: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000024527

So it says, that there is a possibility to configure a private S3-compatible storage and the list of the supported private cloud providers is in the BE HCL. However the latest HCL does not include any S3-compatible storage except Amazon and Google. Even Cloudian which is mentioned in Admin Guide and BE MCLI help is not in the HCL.

That's why I was thinking that Cloudian is type of cloud connector which allows to configure any S3-compatible storage (not Amazon or Google).

So could you please clarify: is it possible to configure any generic S3-compatible storage now with BE 15 fp5?

Colin_Weaver

I am in the process of getting this clarified (I started to ask questions when I first saw your post and then checked the HCL and Admin Guide myself)

Hi Colin,

did you have a chance to get this clarified?

Hi Colin,

is there any update on this?

Colin_Weaver

At this current time all I have is that the team resonsible for that option are aware that the public information is misleading and are looking into it. The team are specifically aware of this thread as part of their discussions.

The information I have still leads me to the understanding that Cloudian is a specific vendors device and not a generic term.

What Colin is stating above is correct. Cloudian is a specific vendor's device and is qualified by Backup Exec team. This should be part of the HCL shortly. We are also working on making it easier for our customers to test the Private Cloud S3 compatible devices on their own, and will be publishing a technote for the same shortly.

Thanks,

Amrish

Hello Colin and Amrish,

thank you for the clarification. I have already got the idea that Cloudian is not what should be used in syntax to configure generic S3.

Is there any chance to provide me with guidelines how to configure generic S3 before this technote publishing?

We're very interested in this feature and want to check if our S3 meets all requirements.

Best regards, Mikhail

Hello Mikhail,

You will need the updated CloudProvider.xml for you to be able to test a generic S3 connector. We are currently working on this.

Thanks,

Amrish.

Hello Amrish,

are there any estimations on the time when this updated cloudprovider.xml will be available?

Best regards, Mikhail

Hello Mikhail,

Are you ready to wait for BE 16?

Thanks,

Amrish

Hello Amrish,

are there any estimations for the release date for BE 16?

Best regards, Mikhail

Hi,

is there any esitmations of the relase date for BE 16 or updated information for current version?

Best regards, Mikhail