cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 16 :What are the difference between open storage and disk deduplication storage ???

adrian11
Level 3

Hi everyone , 

regarding on my question - What are the difference between open storage and disk deduplication storage. where else  can be used the deduplication storage ? 

Thanks , 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The dedup engine built into BE is used to provide dedup for dedup disk storage on ordinary disks with no built-in dedup engine

OST (Open Storage Technology) is a way for BE to interface with disk devices which had their own built-in dedup engine.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The dedup engine built into BE is used to provide dedup for dedup disk storage on ordinary disks with no built-in dedup engine

OST (Open Storage Technology) is a way for BE to interface with disk devices which had their own built-in dedup engine.

Thanks and best regards  pkh  , 

now my second question is what if i used an open storage ? you've said that the ost has its own built in deduplication as well as in the backup exec has its own deduplication too . is there any conflict with the two if i used an open storage ?  and what type of storage that is used for "OST"  would it be  tape or  a disk ???

pkh
   VIP    Certified

As I said earlier, OST allows BE to use the device's dedup engine, so it is not using its own engine.

There is no such thing as tape dedup.