cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010: Free up Space in Dedupliaction Folder?

J_Knopf
Level 3
Hello I have a problem with the Deduplication Option of BE 2010 R2. When I delete/erease media in the dedup device, no disk space is released. No matter how many jobs I delete/erease, the amount of used diskspace is still the same. So sooner or later I will run out of diskspace! Is this a bug by Design? Is Symantec working on a Solution for this Problem? Or am I just doing it wrong? regards, Jimmy
2 REPLIES 2

teiva-boy
Level 6
This is be design!  You're not doing it wrong, just that you dont have the knowledge of all the inner workings of the dedupe technology in BE2010.  The dedupe technology, while "integrated," is bolted on to BE with it's own database engine, file system, and binaries.  It was taken from the enterprise PureDIsk product.  So there are a number of background tasks that are not quite reflected in the BE GUI.

You clean out the media, and twice a day there is an automated clean up or maintenance job that runs to go through all the dedupe blocks and purges or optimizes what is needed...  You can manually run this command if you need to, via CLI.  There is a kb doc on how to do this in the support section.  

J_Knopf
Level 3

I'have done this clean up jobs, but the server did not free up any space http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130103. and the used disk space at the storage kept growing. By now, the Deduplication Folder is growing by 600 GB a month, while the logical data hold in it is hardly growing (short retention time).

Is there anything other I can do to avoid out-of-diskspace problems?