cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 Mac Agent compatible with my BE 12.5 for Windows Server?

WaitingForLTO-6
Level 3
1.  Can I purchase the 2010 Mac Agent and add its license to my 12.5 BEWS?

2.  If so, can it co-exist on my 12.5 BEWS with the 12.5 Mac Agent?

Regardless of the answer to #1 and #2, is the reverse true?

3.  Could I run the 12.5 Mac Agent on a 2010 BEWS?

4.  If so, can it co-exist on the 2010 BEWS with the 2010 Mac Agent?

THE SITUATION:

The reason is I still need to back up 10.4 PPC and 10.5 PPC and the 2010 Agent only does x86.
I'd use only the 12.5 Agent, BUT I have two 10.6 servers that I need to back up and (supposedly) the 2010 Agent will support 10.6 very soon.

The best option would be to just mix 12.5 and 2010 agents on my 12.5 server and cover everyone, but I don't know if that is possible.

Thanks for any help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Normally, a media server will connect to a one level  old  Remote Agent, so a 2010 media server should connect to and talk to a v12.5 Agent.    A media server will NOT talk to an uplevel Agent (or if it does is completely unsupported)

The problem is that this cross version talk is authorized "for the purpose of rolling upgrades only"  Symantec wants you to have all your Agents at the same version level as your media server, and will provide limited support in case of problems

In your case, as long as you have  the v12.5 license paid for, I think you have a strong argument for running it in production (but then again, I don't work for Symantec)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Normally, a media server will connect to a one level  old  Remote Agent, so a 2010 media server should connect to and talk to a v12.5 Agent.    A media server will NOT talk to an uplevel Agent (or if it does is completely unsupported)

The problem is that this cross version talk is authorized "for the purpose of rolling upgrades only"  Symantec wants you to have all your Agents at the same version level as your media server, and will provide limited support in case of problems

In your case, as long as you have  the v12.5 license paid for, I think you have a strong argument for running it in production (but then again, I don't work for Symantec)

WaitingForLTO-6
Level 3
 Thanks Ken.  That makes sense.  I seem to remember dealing with that scenario with Exchange on my previous upgrade.