cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R2 NetWare agent - Licensed = Yes / Installed = No ???

Mary_Land
Level 3

We have licenses for BE Server, some Windows agents (RAWS) and 1 NetWare agent (RANW), all are 13.0 (2010 R2).

Regarding the Netware agent, the Symantec Licensing Portal shows the following:

Product (SKU):   SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2010 AGENT REMOTE FOR NETWARE SERVERS NTWR PER SERVER BNDL STD LIC GOV BAND S ESSENTIAL 12 MONTHS (20057503)

Product Version:   13.0

along with a license key for us to use.

So, clearly that key is for RANW.

When I added that RANW license key to the BE media server ( Tools --> Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server... ), it was accepted and showed up in the list as "Remote Agent for Windows and NetWare Servers" - same description as all of my Windows agent (RAWS) license keys.

However, when I went to "License Information" ( Help --> About --> License Information ), it shows the following (besides BE Server and the usual options):

Option: Remote Agent for Netware Systems, Licensed: Yes, Installed: No

Option: Remote Agent for Windows Systems, Licensed: Yes, Installed: Yes

The "Installed = NO" for RANW is confusing to me.

What does that mean exactly?

BE Help had explained it as followed:

"Installed:  Displays Yes if the option is installed on the media server. Displays No if the option is not installed."

==> Then shouldn't it always show "Installed = NO" for RANW no matter what because BE 2010 has removed the ability to push-install the NetWare agent (thus it will never be installed on the media server)?  I certainly couldn't find RANW/RAWS listed anywhere under (  Tools --> Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server... --> Select features to install --> Licensed agents and options )

==> Note that BE Help said, "Displays Yes if the option is ***installed on the media server***"  Does that mean even after I have installed RANW manually on a remote NetWare server and have that agent publish to the media server, it would still show "Installed = NO" because the option wasn't installed on the media server itself?

Will this "Installed = NO" for RANW prevent me from manually installing remote NetWare agent(s) and have them recognized by the media server?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

After you installed the licence, in the the Configure Option screen, did you expand the LIcenced agents and options section and then select the Agent for Netware server?

It will not prevent you from manually installing the Netware remote agent.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

--Note that BE Help said, "Displays Yes if the option is ***installed on the media server***"  Does that mean even after I have installed RANW manually on a remote NetWare server and have that agent publish to the media server, it would still show "Installed = NO" because the option wasn't installed on the media server itself? 

Yes, correct.

--Then shouldn't it always show "Installed = NO" for RANW no matter what because BE 2010 has removed the ability to push-install the NetWare agent (thus it will never be installed on the media server)?  I certainly couldn't find RANW/RAWS listed anywhere under (  Tools --> Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server... --> Select features to install --> Licensed agents and options ) 

RAWS will not be there because, with the media server installation RAWS will also get installed.

--Will this "Installed = NO" for RANW prevent me from manually installing remote NetWare agent(s) and have them recognized by the media server? 

No, this will not create any issues for your netware agents in communicating with media server.

Regards...

Mary_Land
Level 3

Should RANW appear as a checkbox under "Licensed Agents and Options" after the license key was added?

Even after I had added the license key (and rebooted the media server), when I went to "Licensed Agents and Options" ( Tools --> Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server... --> Select features to install --> Licensed agents and options ), I do not see RANW as a check box in that list.

Mary_Land
Level 3

Even after I had added the RANW license key (and rebooted the media server), when I went to "Licensed Agents and Options" ( Tools --> Install Options and License Keys on this Media Server... --> Select features to install --> Licensed agents and options ), I do not see RANW as a check box in that list.

The only thing listed there is "Remote Media Agent for Linux Servers" with the check box already checked (which is consistent with the "License Information" under Help which showed "Option: Remote Media Agent for Linux Servers, Licensed: Yes, Installed: Yes")

Mary_Land
Level 3