cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R3 : Backup files take much more space than the actual backuped files !

elanclan
Level 3

Hello everybody,

We use BackupExec 2010 R3 (under W2008R2) to backup data from a Windows 2008R2 file server, and an Exchange 2007 server.

The storage space for backup files is located on the backup server itself. This space is also used for other backups (not through BackupExec, but using SFTP on Unix servers).

Our Windows file server holds about 2,7 TB of data (and not all is backuped).

On our backup server, the *.bkf files related to our file server take an amount of 3,48 TB ! According to the modification date of these *.bkf files, they are all actively used.

It seems that BackupExec expands the size of the backup files until it reaches the total available space on the device. Due to this, the other SFTP backups don't work properly.

Is there a way to avoid such behaviour of BackupExec 2010 R3, forcing it not to exceed a specified amount of disk space ?

Thanks for reading, have a nice day

21 REPLIES 21

pkh
   VIP    Certified
How is this going to help the user?

elanclan
Level 3

Hello,

I was waiting a few days to see the actual behaviour of BEx after the first modifications made thanks to your comments.

Unfortunately, the used space is still growing (2,71 TB today after weekly backup).

I have a workaround with the manual delete of overwritable files, but I would prefer a fully automted solution.

The Overwrite Protection Period of the media set is 1 week, the append period is 1 week too.

I will try now to rename and move the two .cfg files located at the root of the physical location where the disk storage is created, as Halwa Wala suggested. I will tell if it helps.

Thanks