cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R3 - Catalog job fails with error: "0xe0000900

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

Hi All, 

When a catalog of a tape fails with the error " Catalog job fails with error: "0xe0000900" how can I tell if it read and cataloged the rest of the tape?  here is the portion of the job log that shows where the error occurs.  The catalog job entered quite a bit of data into the disk-based catalog for this tape.  See highlighted text below.  How can I tell if there are more sequences after sequence #7 on tape?  I have tried to reinventory and catalog several times with same error.  Thanks, Linda

__________ Job Log _________________________

Drive and media information from media mount: 9/25/2013 2:08:40 PM
Robotic Library Name: EXABYTE 1
Drive Name: IBM 1
Slot: 6
Media Label: 000224
Media GUID: {3dd550c1-5742-4d54-a882-25660440b29b}
Overwrite Protected Until: 6/6/2013 11:51:57 PM
Appendable Until: 12/30/9999 4:00:00 PM
Loading media-based catalog set list from the storage media.
The requested media (sequence number 7 in the media family being cataloged) was not listed in the catalog's media index, and therefore, it could not be mounted.
No data from this media will be included in the disk based catalogs.
Performing an inventory operation on this media and rerunning the catalog operation should resolve the problem.
An error was encountered while attempting to read the Media Based Catalog's Set Map data.
Attempting to catalog the media by reading the data area of each backup set.
Set Information - \\email.parkinsonsinstitute.org\E: OneTouch4
Backup of "\\email.parkinsonsinstitute.org\E: OneTouch4"
Backup set #130 on storage media #6
Backup set description: "EmailBUFull"
This backup set has already been cataloged.
The requested media (sequence number 7 in the media family being cataloged) was not listed in the catalog's media index, and therefore, it could not be mounted.
Performing an inventory operation on this media and rerunning the catalog operation should resolve the problem.
An error was encountered while attempting to read the Media Based Catalog's Set Map data.
Attempting to catalog the media by reading the data area of each backup set.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes.  It is another tape.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Iesa_Behbehani
Level 3
Employee

Hi Linda,

Thanks for providing the job log.  I will pass this to our Tech Support Engineers and have them get back to you. 

Thanks,

Iesa Behbehani

iesa_behbehani@symantec.com

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The error messages say that tape #7 in the sequence is not listed and hence not cataloged.  You need to know how many tapes there are in your tape backup set and then inventory/scan all the tapes before you start your catalog job.  BE will not be able to tell you how many tapes there are in the family.  It can only warn you that a tape is missing when you try to catalog the backup set.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Adding to what pkh mentioned, try this as well

1. Is there enough free space on the volume that has the Catalogs. To find out navigate to Tools > Options > Catalogs. Note the Catalog drive and path location and then check the destination for hard drive space limitations.
2. In Backup Exec, go to Tools|Options and click on the Catalog setting.
3. Uncheck the "Use storage media-based catalogs" box (Tools > Options > Catalogs).
4. Insert all the Media required for that Backupset and catalog them individually (one at a time)
5. Open command prompt and browse to the Backup exec directory. Then run "catrebuildindex -r" to make sure all the catalogs are proper and not corrupt.

On a note, have you tried restoring the data that you need inspite of getting the error. If you have not, try it and see id the data can be restored.

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

Just some background info - I am not trying to do a restore, I am recataloging all of my permanent-retention tapes, as we recently lost our catalog file.  In this particular instance, I loaded all of the tapes in the set into our Exabyte unit and ran a job to catalog all of the tapes in the tape machine.  I did inventory them first and then ran the catalog.  BE is configured to read the media catalog and request all tapes in the set.  I guess I just need clarification on what is meant by the message in the joblog "The requested media (sequence number 7 in the media family being cataloged) "  Is the requested media  another tape?  If so, then I will ignore the message, as there is not another tape for this set (only the 6 I originally loaded).

hope this makes sense.  Thank you.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes.  It is another tape.

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

Then I know what happened.  When I removed this set originally, there was one more tape that appeared to be empty, so I didn't save it as part of the set.  There must have been some sort of an association of it with this set, even though it didn't appear to have data on it.  I keep a paper log of tapes I take out and put in, since we are a small shop, it's possible to do.

Thanks, this issue is resolved for me.

Linda