Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R3 - Error encountered writing to the on-disk catalog

gabbamad
Level 2

Hi,

W2K8-R2-64-bit

BE 2010 R3

I have started to receive - error encountered writing to the on-disk catalog - for most but not all of my backups on one of my BE servers. I have looked online and in the forums looking for an answer however i haven't found a satisfactory solution.

I have tried to rebuild db, age db, compact db, repair db through BEUtility which completed successfully however the backups continue to fail with the same error. I have also attempted a catrebuildindex –f which completed successfully however backups again continued to fail with the catalog error.

I have shut down BE services and renamed catalog folder to oldcatalogand re-started BE to create a new catalog folder. When i run the backup the backup completes without errors however this is not an ideal solution. I don't want to have 2 or more areas where the catalogs exist.

The catalog folder is approx 3Gb in size and the disk has 30GB free space.

Has anyone been able to find a fix for this issue without having more than one location holding required catalogs?

Adrian

1 REPLY 1

navintah
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Hi:

This error may occur if there are corrupt catalog files on the disk. You may try one of the following steps to identify corrupt files:

- Isolate corrupt files by copying catalog files in parts (may be 1 GB initially) in to Catalog folder and see if there are errors when backups are run

- Use all 3 GB of Catalog files. Use Process Monitor tool when running backup job. Tool would list all catalog files which are accessed. List down these files and then use above procedure to identify the corrupt file.

Thanks

Navin