cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R3 - Exchange 2007 GRT Backup Failing - e000037b

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

My Exchange 2007 GRT backup is continually failing with the error message e000037b - Using the job settings, Backup Exec attemted to backup the passive copy of the Exchange database.  However, the passive copy was not available after the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot was performed. Try to run the job again.  I have set up Backup Exec to retry the job two more times if it encounters that error.  Sometimes, on the second or third try the job will succeed.  I am at a loss as to what is going wrong and how to fix it.  My environment is:

Backup Exec version 2010 R3 - all updates applied

Windows Server 2003 - current service pack

Exchange 2007 sp3

I am hoping someone can give me some suggestions on how to fix this.

I appreciate the input.

Linda

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Oops sorry typing mistake best option is as the article says - back up from active copy ONLY

sorry for confusion ;)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Linda,

Check the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&pmv=print&impressions=&viewlocale=&id=TECH61607

Looks like it is an MS problem!

Thanks!

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

Thanks, CraigV.  I have seen that TN and I do have LCR running.  I am going to try the option to backup from the Active copy and see that goes.  Also, do you know how to tell where VSS creates its shadow copy?  One of the suggestions on the TN is to make sure there is enough free disk space on the Exchange server for the snapshot to complete.  I have three drives on that server and one does not have enough free space, but the other two do.  Is there someplace to set/see which drive is used for the vss copy?

I appreciate your help.

Linda

CraigV

...I suspect it gets created in the System Volume Information folder on the server being backed up.

Thanks!

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

Also, I have ES2007 SP3 update 10, which is supposed to include the MS fix for this problem...Guess it is still not fixed!

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

Do you have any idea where the System Volume Information folder is?

Colin_Weaver

When I personnally tested the MS release intended to fix it (as it happens with Exchange 2007 in an LCR setup) I found the MS update did not solve the issue, hence we do not believe it has ever been fixed and it almost certainly will not be now with Exchange 2013 release making 2007 two full versions out of date.

As such we do suggest that your best option is backup the active copy ONLY

(NOTE: I have edited this  so that later readers won't read the wrong info, because of the edit, Linda's comment and my reply below may not make sense)

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

Colin,

I believe that the TN says to backup the ACTIVE copy as in Workaround 2: "If Exchange 2007 backup source is LCR or CCR:" is specified as "Backup from the active copy only (job fails if not available)".  Am I missinterpreting the TN?  The job fails regularly when I try to backup the Passive copy.  I will be trying to backup the Active copy tonight.  Additionally, my Exchange backups were running fine, until I switched to GRT backups.

Thanks,

Linda

CraigV

Hi Linda,

Check below:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1099811

Thanks!

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

Just an update to this post.  My Exchange 2007 GRT backup ran successfully last night using MS VSS.  The only thing I changed was to backup from active copy.  I will check back here to see how reliable this method is.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

Linda

Colin_Weaver

Oops sorry typing mistake best option is as the article says - back up from active copy ONLY

sorry for confusion ;)

Linda_Lounsbury
Level 4

So far, so good.  My Exchange 2007 GRT backups have been running without incident since I changed to backing up the Active copy of the IS.  Thanks, Colin, for your post.

Linda