cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R3 - Slow backup jobs to tape after changing servers

Richard_2222
Level 3

Hi Everyone,

I'm experiencing extremely slow job rates and other odd issue's after changing our server that hosts Backup Exec.

Previous setup - no issues:

Backup Exec 2010
Dell Server - PowerEdge 2950 - Windows Server 2003
Dell PowerVault 124T

New setup - Slow job rates when backing up to tape:

Backup Exec 2010 R3
HP Server - DL 380 - Windows Server 2008 R2
HBA H241 Controller card
Dell PowerVault 124T - Same tape drive

On the new setup, when trying to run a backup job it transfers extremely slow, most of the time not even showing a transfer rate.  For under 50MB it seems like it will just keep on running until I cancel it, and even then, it gets stuck in pending cancel mode and I've just been restarting the backup exec services.

I switched back to the old set up and transfer speeds are normal.

I've tried test backups from remote servers as well as the server that Backup Exec is installed on, and its the same issue.

I tried a test disk-to-disk backup and it ran just fine, no problems.

When I try doing the live update on Backup Exec, it downloads the updates and then fails for the install.  It suggest a registry fix which applied successfully, but when I tried the updates again it still failed.

Even though windows recognized and installed the tape drive, I downloaded and tried installing the latest drivers for the Dell 124T, but when I try to install it says the latest drivers are already installed.

I can run clean jobs and erase the tapes with no problems.

I'm stumped, our company needs to remove all 2003 servers and the deadline is fast approaching.

Any thoughts? I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Richard

5 REPLIES 5

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

re: H800 PERC controller card

This is an unsupported RAID HBA.

Backup Exec only supports a limited number of RAID cards for use with tape.  See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70907

Dell doesn't support tape on this HBA.  See http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/campaigns/dell-raid-controllers

Make sure your OS is supported with the version of BE.  See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH205797

My gut instict says that if you replace your HBA with a non RAID version, you may be resolve your tape performance issues, but you have no guarantee that the data will be restorable.  And you should be aware of your support status by using the SCL and HCL.

Richard_2222
Level 3

Thanks all for your insight.  There are a few updates:

I made a mistake with the type of card, its actually an HBA H241 Controller card.

Also, I was able to install Backup Exec 2010 R3 on it.

However, still experiencing the same issue's.

One thing I notice is that on the old server the Device Name shows DELL 1, on the new server even if I choose DELL 1 in the job setup, when the job runs its showing IBM 1 for the device name.

Also when I try to cancel a job that doesn't seem to be writing anymore (Starts out with a slow job rate and then job rate dissapears, byte count is very low) it gets stuck on cancel pending.  Restarting the BE services locks up as well and then I have to restart the server.

Thanks again for all your help.

Richard

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Per http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04375840.pdf?ver=1.0 the H241 is a RAID capable card.  Please make sure that it is not in RAID mode.  it is not support by BE when in RAID mode.

The device name is simply cosmetic.  I don't know when or why it changed, but it isn't significant in & of itself.  If you changed firmware, that might be relevant.

Please don't change your original post without CLEARLY identifying what you have changed as it makes the follow up posts confusing to all involved.

Richard_2222
Level 3

Thanks I'll remember that for future posts.

The H241 is not in RAID mode.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When I try doing the live update on Backup Exec, it downloads the updates and then fails for the install.  It suggest a registry fix which applied successfully, but when I tried the updates again it still failed.

- What error do you receive ? Have you tried to manually download the updates and then install it ?

Even though windows recognized and installed the tape drive, I downloaded and tried installing the latest drivers for the Dell 124T, but when I try to install it says the latest drivers are already installed.

- Are you using Symantec or vendor drivers for the tape drive ? And is the changer using Microsoft driver (should show up as unknown medium changer in the device manager) ?