Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R3 Tape Library Problem ?

dlin
Level 3
Partner

Hi everybody,

i have a strange problem with a new HP Tape Library.

We got a new netapp filer "netapp03" and configured fc zoning, so the old and new library is visible at the filer. sysconfig -m/-t are showing changer and tape devices.

The HP MSL2024 G3 Series with LTO5 is the old one. The HP MSL2024 LTO6 is new.

LTO6.png

The problem is, the HP Ultrium6 Device is not under the HP MSL2024 LTO6 Changer ??

Am I missing something, some mistakes in FC Zoning ? Any hints are welcome.

regards Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Does it work correctly with just one tape library attached?

You mentioned both a new NetApp filer and a new LTO6 library.  Is it correct that both were added at the same time?

Your second screen shot also shows an LTO4 drive in a library?  How many libraries do you have?

It sounds like BE is having a device discovery issue with two of essentially the same G3 library connected to the NDMP server.  Can you post your adamm.log please?

This technote doesn't sound exactly what you are seeing, but it is close, so it may have some value.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH212366

Tape devices may appear as offline or missing, or the backup jobs stay in a queued state when using Netapp Data Ontap version 8.2.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if this is an issue that the library isn't showing correctly in Windows Device Manager then you need to direct this query at the NetApp forums to assist you as it is essentially a hardware problem.

If the drive doesn't show under the library within BE, then run the Device Configuration Wizard and drag the drive to the robotics...complete the wizard and it will show correctly under Devices within BE.

Thanks!

dlin
Level 3
Partner

Thanks.

Both HP MSL Librarys are directly attached to the Netapp via FC. They don't show in Windows Device Manager.

After remove and readd the NDMP Filer to BE, it shows like this.

LTO6_1.png

HP 0001 is the tape device in the new HP MSL2024 LTO6 Library, i checked serialnumbers in BE and on the Webbrowser Login of the Library.

After that i tried your suggestions with the device Configuration Wizard an drag the HP 0001 drive to the robotics. After that the device shows under the library. 

But a testbackup job wouldn't start. I will restart the BE Services later, because a backup job to the old Library is running at the moment.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you might need to do that. The wizard also includes the option to delete old devices so maybe do that too.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I suspect this is a zoning issue, the library and the drives in the library have to be connected/zoned to the NetApp. If you have only zoned the library, it will display the slots and will notify Backup Exec (and the Netapp) of the details of the drives installed inside the library, BUT without the zoning to the drive there will be no connection to it and a missing drive status will typically be seen.

BTW there are commands you can run on the NetApp to confirm what it sees in terms of tape devices - you might want to do some research to see if these commands will help you (sorry I am not sure of them myself)

dlin
Level 3
Partner

Hi Colin,

the command "storage show tape" list both LTO5 and LTO6 drives. "storage show mc" lists both HP MSL2024 librarys. So my colleague said zoning should be okay.

Otherwise i will test if restarting the services will help, if not i will install BE 2014 in an testlab, add the filer to devices and check if both libraries are shown correcly.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Does it work correctly with just one tape library attached?

You mentioned both a new NetApp filer and a new LTO6 library.  Is it correct that both were added at the same time?

Your second screen shot also shows an LTO4 drive in a library?  How many libraries do you have?

It sounds like BE is having a device discovery issue with two of essentially the same G3 library connected to the NDMP server.  Can you post your adamm.log please?

This technote doesn't sound exactly what you are seeing, but it is close, so it may have some value.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH212366

Tape devices may appear as offline or missing, or the backup jobs stay in a queued state when using Netapp Data Ontap version 8.2.

dlin
Level 3
Partner

The LTO4 drive/library is directly attached to the Backup Server.

Your suggestions of device discovery issues sounds logic. I will configure zoning, so the new netapp will only see the new HP Library.

The technote sounds interesting.

thanks.

dlin
Level 3
Partner

In the end, we remove the old HP MSL2024 library, so that only the new one is recognized by the filer.

A fresh installation works fine now. So it looks like a FC Zoning problem, which Larry mentioned.

thanks for help.