Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R3 and Library in Fiber Cable - Storage

timgarbim
Level 4
Certified

Hello

I have a question to which kind of Option i need to purcharge . I currently have one BE server and a connection to one Library AND i have another library but in a Fiber Cable, connected to an Storage

My qestion is : I need to see the San Storage shared  option , or the NMDP option ? I´m a little confuse about that..can anyone help ? thank you very much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

No, no server sees anything on a SAN until it is zoned to see it.

So you'd create a zone on the FC switch that includes the FC HBA of the server, along with the drives and robotics of the library. Ideally you do this on both servers, depending on the model of library. Some libraries only allow you to zone the server to see the robotics on 1 switch due to connectivity limitations on the library.

Also, if you have a library with multiple drives, BE covers the licensing of 1 drive...every other drive needs a Library Expansion Option license in order to activate the software to use the additional drives. EG. a library with 4 drives needs 3 x LEO licenses.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi,

You don't need NDMP at all so ignore that, unless your storage is capable of iSCSI.

As for the SAN SSO, unless you have other servers connected to the SAN, and you want them to back up across the SAN, you don't need this either.

SAN SSO shares a library amongst other SAN-connected servers that all run FULL versions of BE.

If you don't have other SAN-connected servers, a LAN backup using RAWS will work just fine and save you cash!

Thanks!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

How is the first library connected to media server?

If your server and the second library are connected to a FC switch zone the tape drives with the media server and see if the server can access those from device manager. 

For using more than one robotic controlled tape drives you need to buy Library Expansion Option licenses. 

If you want the tape devices to be accessed by more than one media server, then you have to buy shared storage option.

Regards...

timgarbim
Level 4
Certified

Thank you for the Answers

My only concern about is : How the BE will find the library ? I can install it normally ?

I don´t have all the hardware at my hands now, so i can´t test it yet, but the media server will find the Device connected in the FB?

Thanks for the tips guys

CraigV

Hi,

No, no server sees anything on a SAN until it is zoned to see it.

So you'd create a zone on the FC switch that includes the FC HBA of the server, along with the drives and robotics of the library. Ideally you do this on both servers, depending on the model of library. Some libraries only allow you to zone the server to see the robotics on 1 switch due to connectivity limitations on the library.

Also, if you have a library with multiple drives, BE covers the licensing of 1 drive...every other drive needs a Library Expansion Option license in order to activate the software to use the additional drives. EG. a library with 4 drives needs 3 x LEO licenses.

Thanks!

timgarbim
Level 4
Certified

Thank you for the help!