cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 R3: redirect new installation off C: ?

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi all,

I have a client's server whose C: drive is nearly full, maybe 400MB remaining and I have done everything I can to free up space.  The D: drive (data volume) has lots of space.  It's a Server 2003 Standard box in a workgroup.  I had previously installed BE 2010 R2 as a trial edition for testing but after a while had to remove it to free up some space on C: as it was almost completely full, even though during install I had specified the installation path as D:.  Clearly some stuff is being put on C: despite that as I recall freeing some 200-300MB after uninstall. 

Woudl there be any way to put BE purely on D: without much if anything going to C:? 

Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  That is the problem with most software nowadays.  There are a lot of so-called common modules which must remain on the C: drive.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  That is the problem with most software nowadays.  There are a lot of so-called common modules which must remain on the C: drive.

Yukesh
Level 2

With Backup Exec all the Debug log files are also so set to generate in the installed location.

Only the installed log files is only present in the "C:\" Drive and if you have not installed liveupdate it will default get installed in C drive.

Windows Server 2003 and prior  :   C:\Documents and Settings\AllUsers\ApplicationData\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\

Windows Server 2008 and Vista :   C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Backup Exec\Logs\

NOTE: The Application Data folder is a hidden folder. If the Application Data folder is not visible,

Check out the below article .

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50493

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

When you install BackuP Exec  there are two locations to change the imnstall path

One is the core product location

default = C:\Progarm Files\Symantec\Backup Exec

the other is the SQL Expreess install path

default = C:\Progarm Files\\Microsoft SQL Server (I think)

Changing both of these will help

However as other's have said there are some common files (including LiveUpdate) that will end up on C:

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

It seems I can only mark one answer as solution so I had to go with the first one provided.  But thank you to all that did reply.  Colin I don't believe I looked into the path for SQL or if I did I probablyh opted to leave it as is or something so I will revisit that during another test install. 

Thanks!