cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010, SBS (Exchange 2007) in a Hyper-V VM: Error V-79-57344-65097

DavidRa
Level 2
We've just deployed the trial version of Backup Exec 2010 on a new customer server. The server is a Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition server with a local LTO4 drive, configured as a domain controller and running the Backup Exec services. We'll call that server HV for brevity.

The guest VMs are as follows:
  • SBS Server (SBS) with the 2010 Agent installed
  • SQL Server (SQL) with the 2010 Agent installed
  • Anti-spam server (CM1) with the 2010 Agent installed
  • Blackberry Professional Server (BES) with the 2010 Agent installed
  • Squid Proxy Server on FreeBSD (SQUID) with the 2010 Agent installed
  • Planned Enterprise Vault Server (EV) with the 2010 Agent installed
The backup selection list includes:
  • Local disks on the host server (C, D, E, F and G local disks)
  • System State
  • Hyper-V Initial Store
  • Hyper-V VMs (SBS, SQL, CM1, BES only)
When I back up the host with this selection list, it takes about 3 hours and backs up 600GB of data, which seems about right. The Exchange installation on SBS reports to the event log that it has been backed up, and the logs cleared.
However, Backup Exec displays the following error for the SBS Virtual Machine backup:
Backup- VRTSRV::\\HV.customer.domain\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\SBS
V-79-57344-65097 - Error. Cannot backup directory \zzzVirtApp003zzz and its subdirectories.
V-79-57344-65097 - Error. Cannot backup directory \zzzVirtApp004zzz and its subdirectories.

I theorise that this is Exchange because the SQL and SharePoint applications are listed as being protected:
Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'C:' on virtual machine '\\SBS.customer.domain'.
Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'D:' on virtual machine '\\SBS.customer.domain'.
Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'E:' on virtual machine '\\SBS.customer.domain'.
Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'F:' on virtual machine '\\SBS.customer.domain'.
Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'G:' on virtual machine '\\SBS.customer.domain'.
Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'Volume{6799189a-f031-11de-8272-00155d087500}' on virtual machine '\\SBS.customer.domain'.
Backup Exec has discovered and protected Microsoft Active Directory data on virtual machine '\\SBS.customer.domain'.
Backup Exec has discovered and protected Microsoft SQL Server data on virtual machine '\\SBS.customer.domain'.
Backup Exec has discovered and protected Microsoft SQL Server data on virtual machine '\\SBS.customer.domain'.

(Yes, the SBS VM has C, D, E, F, G drives as well as a mounted volume for WSUS Data).

I cannot locate anything about this error that helps, other than a previous post about Exchange 2010 in a Hyper-V VM - that post and problem appears not to have a solution at this time.

Any guidance would be appreciated (especially around double-checking any dependencies I may have missed).
1 REPLY 1

Zdanovych
Level 2

I got the same error - V-79-57344-65097 - Error. Cannot backup directory \zzzVirtApp009zzz and its subdirectories. when backing up Exchange 2007 situated at Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V environment.
Virtual machine named "MAIL" is:
  • 8Gb vitual ram, 4 virtual processors
  • Windows Server 2008 SP2 with two partitions - system C: and mailboxes at D:
  • Exchange 2007, appx. 100Gb of mail databases
In BackupExec 2010 I have selected virtual machine "MAIL" from host Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V container. As a result of backup I receive errors:
Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'C:' on virtual machine '\\MAIL'.
V-79-57344-38724 Directory 'C\Users\All Users' does not support Granular Recovery Technology (GRT). Granular restores cannot be performed for items in this directory. 
Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'D:' on virtual machine '\\MAIL'.
Backup Exec has discovered and protected Microsoft Exchange Server data on virtual machine '\\mail'.
Backup Exec has discovered and protected Microsoft Exchange Server data on virtual machine '\\mail'.
V-79-57344-65097 Error. Cannot backup directory \zzzVirtApp009zzz and its subdirectories. 
I discovered that number of 'Backup Exec has discovered ... Server data on virtual machine' equals to number of Exchange storages (Databases). In my case it is zzzVirtApp009zzz - nine storage. So I will continue my investigations, may be it is error in some storage.