Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 TAPE on BE 2012

Jeet_S
Level 3

Hi Guys,

Becoming a frequent visitor here now.

Situation is we had an incident in May which destroyed our old backup server which was running BE 2010. We have since setup a new backup server running BE 2012. As it happens I need to do a restore from a tape created on BE 2010 via BE 2012.

I have managed to catalog the tape without any issues and I see the content that I want to restore however when I right click on the content all options are greyed out. Also I have noticed in the BE 2012 ribbon up top there is no restore option available when I am looking at the contents of the backup that I want to restore from.

Is what I am trying to do even possible? Have I missed a step somewhere? Any advice is very much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
For BE 2012, you cannot restore from the media view. On the Backup and Restore tab, you should be able to see the server that is backed up onto the tape. Click on the server and do your restore from there. See my article below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/be-2012-restoring-data-defunct-server

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified
For BE 2012, you cannot restore from the media view. On the Backup and Restore tab, you should be able to see the server that is backed up onto the tape. Click on the server and do your restore from there. See my article below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/be-2012-restoring-data-defunct-server

Jeet_S
Level 3

Hi PKH,

Many thanks for your response. I seem to have fallen at the first step of your instructions in that I do not have a B2D folder from my previous BE 2010 server. I only have the tape containing the backup that I want to restore from. Will this suffice?

lmosla
Level 6

Yes, the tape should work fine. See pkh's comment in his article 'Although this article refers to disk media, it is equally applicable to tape media.  The procedure is the same.  Inventory and catalog the tape(s) and then restore.'

Jeet_S
Level 3
Hi there. I have Inventoried and catalogued fine. I can see the data I want to restore but all options are greyed out. I have tried importing the data/tape but receive an error advising that BE is unable to read the barcode on the tape.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you gone through my article referenced above until after the cataloging process.  After you have cataloged the media, the restore is the same for both tape and disk.

Jeet_S
Level 3

Alas I see my mistake. Followed each step as per your article and the data is restoring right now. Many thanks pkh!

Jeet_S
Level 3

Ok so the data has finished restoring but it is still in .bkf format. Is there a way to pull out what I need from these files?