Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 agent uninstallation leaves Backup Exec VSS Provider installed

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified
Hi,

Does anyone know how to manually uninstall Backup Exec VSS Provider from computer? After uninstalling BE 2010 agent, rebooting computer, BE VSS provider is still installed, and all snapshot backups will fail because of that still existing BE VSS provider.

Why do we want to uninstall BE agent? Because after installing latest hotfixes for our BE Server and updating agents, AVVI backups started failing on some computers, and only solution we found was uninstalling BE Agent and reinstalling VMware's VSS components.

Thanks in advance,

JT_T
6 REPLIES 6

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Refer the following document http://support.veritas.com/docs/352184

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
oops a wrong link
I gues you woul need to delete the registry Perform the steos as below

Following is the command to uninstall the AOFO
setup.exe /AOFO: -s -u, and press <Enter>

Manually remove the Backup Exec VSS provider registry key

(1) Find the correct GUID value for the Backup Exec VSS provider by running the VSSADMIN LIST PROVIDERS from within a command prompt window.

(2) Run regedit and go to the following key location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\Providers\

(3) Delete the registry key with the coresponding VSS GUID value

(4) Reinstall the remote agent without AOFO option.

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified
Thanks RahulG,

I checked ja deleted that registry entry, it seems that i need to reboot the server before BeVssProvider service gets removed from Windows services list.

BTW, i didn't install BE Agent with AOFO, BeVssProvider seems to install with basic BE 2010 agent, but there's something missing from Symantec's BE Agent unistallation method...

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi JT

Below is the link for manually uninstalling remote agent.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/232443

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified
Hi Amol,

I found that article too, but unfortunately it's not applicable for BE 2010 agent removal/uninstallation.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Its just because of some environmental reasons the uninstall does not works fine so we need to uninstall it manually ..