cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 and Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V

Eplan_S_S
Level 3

Hello Folks,

! Read this post carefully if you plan to implement BE2010 with Win2008 R2 - Hyper-V and CSV !

I have the following environment:

2 Servers Dell PE m805 connected to an Equallogic PS5000 iSCSI SAN. The two servers running Windows Server 2008 R2 ENT and have Hyper-V and Failoverclustering enabled. I have tested the creation of VMs - livemigrate them and the use of CSV succsessfully.

Now Symantec comes into play:

I have installed the actual version of BE 2010 on a 3rd machine to evaluate this software. Choosen the following options: Hyper-V, deduplication and AOFO. After this I have deployed the agent to my two Hyper-V machines. After this I get strange behavior:

1st:  Livemigration of VMs leads to unexpected shutdown of the source machine. Without any bluescreen!
2nd: Backup of the Cluster fails with Error "80042306 - 0x80042306 (2147754758)" after this the CSV are redirected and not able to recover to normal state.

So I have deinstalled the Remote agent and all the problems went away.

3 REPLIES 3

balboa41
Level 2

I have a similar scenario that the one you described.  I have a lot of clients that I have installed:

- Hyper-V R2 Cluster with CSV enabled (GPT partition for Virtual Machines)

If you were able to solve your problem, please let me know, as an actual client has Symantec NetBackup and he wants to use this solutions for the backup of all of the VM's.  I have used Microsoft System Center DPM 2010 without much trouble, but I can't offer that solution to my actual client, which already has Symantec deployed. 

Please update me with any information regarding this!

Thanks in advance,

Jose Angel Rivera.

Eplan_S_S
Level 3
Hi Balboa41,

it seems that the two issues depends on the hardware used.

Issue 1:

Unexpected shutdowns in livemigration are caused by AMD CPUs and are actual investigated by AMD and MS:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2highavailability/thread/3b98797c...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsserver2008r2virtualization/thread/e27e1d26-376d...

Issue 2:

Is caused by a software called Equallogic "HIT Kit 3.3.1" - it is for handling MPIO, Snapshots and so on in Windows. After some days with the EQlogic support I get the information that the actual HIT kit isn´t suitable for Windows 2008 R2 CSV's.
After deinstalling HIT Kit and using MS MPIO the issue went away.

Jason_Brandt
Level 4
Intel CPU's had a similar problem, I had to patch my Dell's as well to fix.