Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 deduplication policy question

mickelingon
Level 5
Partner
Hi

I have a customer were I'm installing a new server with BE 2010 and I'm going to use deduplication folder.
The main reason for this is that they can't back up all data during the time window.
So we are evaluating the client dedup to reduse time during backup.

I've set upp one backup for a server just to try it out, and created a policy wich I'm going to use for many servers.
But the deduplication does not happen on the client side.
Everything is set upp according to BE manuals.
It's 15GB and it takes about 40 minutes. I understand why the first will take 40 minutes, but the second time I ran it (during schedule) it took the same amount of time.
I get a warning after backup for direct access not beeing used on System State, and I asume it's only for this.
But the time is still the same after a couple of backups.

Here is my question:
My thoughts on policy creation for deduplication jobs is that you can run a full backup every day because it's just going to backup data that has changed.
Am I wrong on this?

What also scares me is if I put a lot of servers in the policy and the backups are running full and takes the same time every backup. I have to investigate which servers that's not suitable for deduplication and put these in a policy running incremental during weekdays.
My concern on this is due to the problems I'm having on my test backup above.

Thought and help on this?

Mike
4 REPLIES 4

Brent_Bruns
Level 2
Partner
You need to enable the Duduplication folder to allow direct backups; (Properties, Advanced Tab, Allow remote agents direcyou t access to this device)
You must also enable the policy, under Device and media,  (Allow this job to have direct access to the device)

once you do these options, you have to restart backup Exec Services

Having the deduplication running on the target server rather than the Media server doesn't make it faster, it just prevents the deduplicated data from having to be sent through the network.

Now as to the speed, I found that the Full jobs only went slightly faster with deduplication, I am doing Monthly Full's with Daily Differenals, all going to the Deduplication folder.

mickelingon
Level 5
Partner
Hi

I have installed it correct with all requirements for deduplication.

What I've heard, client direct acces will decrease your backup time because only changed blocks will be backed up from the client.
If you do server dedup, the time for backup will be the same but you will save space in the end.

So full backups should work every day for client direct access backups.

Mike

teiva-boy
Level 6
 You really need to run client side dedupe.  Having the media server process the full data stream not just from one host, but multiple hosts, you're now introducing yet another backup window.  e.g. it takes XX min/hrs to move 1TB of data over the LAN, but now also takes XX min/hrs to process the data on the media server.

By doing client side, you're spreading the load of the processing.  Dedupe is very CPU intensive, and a single media server will eventually be a weak link.  

fiNal
Level 4
client dedupe does significantly reduce backup time! just make sure that you have a reasonably fast processor in the client aswell, but in my case, a P4 Xeon 3.2GHz (about five years old) was just fine.

I have speeds around 700MB/min for my Full Backup Jobs with client dedupe, the clients however are connected only via a 10MBit WAN-Connection. So, with "regular backup methods", the theoretical maximum is at 75MB/min, and usually reached only about 65.

However, be aware that your very first backup job will take the full time though, just like a regular job. This is because the first time you run the job, there is nothing to "dedupe".