Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 disables hardware compression on lto drive

Dennis_K5121
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

i'am using BE 2010 R2 SP1 to backup my system on a HP autoloader with an ultrium LTO4 drive.

I set up my backup job for using hardware compression - but in every backup the compression rate is 1:1

I checked the tape settings - here it says, that data compression is disabled - so I did the HP compression selftest and it says "Before running this test L&TT determined that your hardware compression algorithm is switched off. This is probably set by your backup software..."

The test automaticly enabled the compression and ended up successfully with a compression rate of 2.61 : 1

I manually enabled the hardware compression, but the next job also ended without compressing anything and the status of the drive was set back to "data compression: disabled"

So it seems, that the problem is caused by BE - can anybody help me why BE disables the hardware compression

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

From the devices tab, right click your drive \ properties

Verify that "Enable Hardware Compression" is checked

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

BE turns off hardware compression on the device during the detection of the device when the services is started.  Check out this technote to verify compression is working properly.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50766