cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 failing on full backup of Exchange 2007 - E00084F9

scottgh
Level 3

This weekend our backups of Exchange 2007 Enterprise started failing.  We are using BE 2010 and have the Exchange agent.  Backups have been working fine for many months prior to this.

The BE 2010 error is E00084F9

"Job ended: September-27-10 at 11:34:08 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f9 - A communications failure has occurred between the Backup Exec job engine and the remote agent.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34041"

On the Exchange server the following two events are logged:

MSExchangeIS Event ID 9782 "Exchange VSS Writer (instance 32ad39e7-0f6c-41cd-aa50-794301aef4d3:7) has unsuccessfully completed the backup of storage group 'First Storage Group'. No log files have been truncated for this storage group."

ESE Event ID 2007 "Information Store (5400) Shadow copy instance 7 aborted."

Exchange is Exchange Server 2007 Enterprise x64 running on Windows Server 2008 x64 Standard.  Both Exchange and Windows are fully patched.  Exchange shows a clean bill of health in the BPA.  No other applicable events show up in the event viewer.  The server has been rebooted.  "vssadmin list writers" shows that everything is fine - all writers in a "No error" state.

Backup Exec 2010 is fully patched, no updates to be applied.  The backup server is Windows 2008 R2 x64 Standard, fully patched.  The server has been rebooted.

I have tried backing up to the Backup to Disk folder (normal target for the job) as well as changing it to the Deduplication folder with the same results for both.  I have tried recreating the selection list from scratch.  I have tried doing only one storage group, but both storage groups (even individually) give the same error (just substitute "First Storage Group" with "Second Storage Group in the 9782 error).

Only the information stores are part of this selection list.  No system state or folders have been selected (those are done in another job that completed successfully).

Help!  Does anyone have any suggestions, insights or solutions?  I really need to get our mail server backed up.

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Great!It might be the corruption of exchange logs then. Can you dismount the exchange store and mount them again and try to do the backup again. Also can you run the eseutil commands to check if your exchange database in healthy state.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

sksujeet
Level 6

MSExchangeIS Event ID 9782 "Exchange VSS Writer (instance 32ad39e7-0f6c-41cd-aa50-794301aef4d3:7) has unsuccessfully completed the backup of storage group 'First Storage Group'. No log files have been truncated for this storage group."

This error message shows that either your exchange writers are not stable or some corruption in the exchange logs. Please try vssadmin list writers in cmd prompt and check if it shows any writer failing.

If it does then reboot the exchange server and check again. Try vssadmin list writers again and check the writer status. All the writer status should be stable to have the successfull backup of Exchange.

scottgh
Level 3

Thank you for the reply.

As per the original email, I've checked the "vssadmin list writers" both prior to and after rebooting, as well as after failures.  At all times all writers have reported a "No errors" status with a state of "[1] Stable".

sksujeet
Level 6

Great!It might be the corruption of exchange logs then. Can you dismount the exchange store and mount them again and try to do the backup again. Also can you run the eseutil commands to check if your exchange database in healthy state.

scottgh
Level 3

It won't be easy to bring down the store during work hours, but I will possibly try it this evening.

Thanks for the advice!

scottgh
Level 3

To update, I dismounted the First Storage Group store and ran eseutil /mh on both the mailbox store and the public folder store.  Both reported clean databases (phew).  So I then copied about 4 days worth of transaction logs out of the First Storage Group log directory and retried the backup.

Success!  Thank you so much for the tip Sazz, I really appreciate it!