Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 is crashing ?!

magix
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Dear all,

I created a new job based on a policy, that has to backup some folders (emails on a Linux server to be precise) :

• daily incrementally
  • weekly full
  • with synthetic backup afterwards

But each time the daily incremental is backed-up the "Backup Exec services" are crashing !

And they have to be restarted and of course the backup job has failed...

Does someone has an idea of why this could happen and/or how to give more details to the forum to discover why BE is crashing ?

For your information, it was crashing with BE 2010, and after update to BE 2010 R2, it is still crashing...

Thanks a lot in advance for any help !

Denis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

magix
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Dear all,

I found the cause of the bug !

The problem is a big bug in Backup Exec Synthetic backups. Very simple, but very bad :

• As you know, to do synthetic backups you have to do a full backup, firstly.
  • But in my case the full backup had failed.
  • Normally Backup Exec should either do it again, either complain ! But it does none of them...
  • Furthermore, it even considers the job as successful, and directly tries to do an incremental backup.
  • And when this condition is met, Backup Exec (services) silently crash !

VJware, as a Symantec employee, are you able to inform your colleagues about this bug ?

Best regards and thanks to everyone for your help and advices...

Denis

P.S. The workaround to this problem is to launch the "full job" from the policies screen (as it is missing in the jobs screen) manually. Then, you can do incremental without BE crashing. At least it worked for me :)

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Denis,

Please check BE itself for any errors and post them here...will make things a lot easier!

magix
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hello,

Where exactly should I look to find these errors ?

What did is start the Backup Exec Debug Monitor and made it crash : but nothing interesting seems to be shown into it... Backup Exec services crashes and no more answer is shown ? Or I could send you the log file privately if you want.

But I'm certainly not looking at the right place ?

Denis

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Is it only the Linux backup jobs that are crashing BE?  If so, what is the version of Linux that you are using and the version of the RALUS that you are using on that machine?  Have you re-booted the Linux server after installing the RALUS?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Is it the media server's services that are crashing? If so, is an antivirus not maybe stopping those services? Are you getting a specific error in the Alerts tab of BE? What OS is your media server?
If it is the services on your Linux box, have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the RALUS agent?

magix
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Dear all,

a) Linux
The Linux backup is working very well on all servers (even that one) with the existing backup jobs.
It only crashes with a "Synthetic backups" policy. (*)

b) Yes - it is the media server's services that are crashing
The antivirus is Symantec Endpoint protection.
And the crash only happends with Synthetic backups, all other jobs work very well.

c) No errors in the alert tab of BE (except "Services are not running" or something like that)

Does it helps you more ?

Thank a lot for your help !

Denis

(*) More details :
The only difference is that Synthetic backups insist on using the archive bit instead of modified time, but I tried to backup with a normal job on the same server and using "archive bit" and it worked perfectly.
Conclusion : it doesn't seem to be a problem with Linux remote agent, but more with Synthetic backups themselves.

magix
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Dear all,

Does someone has an idea on why this could happen ?

If you need more details I can publish them, but there I'm really lost with this crash ?

Thanks a lot for any help !

Denis

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This KB article might be helpful - http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/354387.htm

magix
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Dear VJware,

That's interesting, but as far as I know I was using RALUS 2010 with BackupExec 2010. (And it was already crashing)

But now we are using BE 2010 R2, and you're right I should update agents on the servers :

• I installed the latest version on the server above, and now it is running VRTSralus 13.0.4164.

But now I found something very strange :

• I have 3 jobs in the policy (full, incr, synth)
  • But I only have 2 jobs in the jobs monitor tab ??????????

Why ? That is the question ?!

Therefore I now launched the "full" job from the policy tab (as it doesn't appear under the jobs tab)

• It is currently running => I will let you know about the results !

Denis

P.S. Last point, does this has something to do with our problem ?

• http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/336079.htm

Mahesh_Roja
Level 6

The application and system event log with screen shot

magix
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Dear all,

I found the cause of the bug !

The problem is a big bug in Backup Exec Synthetic backups. Very simple, but very bad :

• As you know, to do synthetic backups you have to do a full backup, firstly.
  • But in my case the full backup had failed.
  • Normally Backup Exec should either do it again, either complain ! But it does none of them...
  • Furthermore, it even considers the job as successful, and directly tries to do an incremental backup.
  • And when this condition is met, Backup Exec (services) silently crash !

VJware, as a Symantec employee, are you able to inform your colleagues about this bug ?

Best regards and thanks to everyone for your help and advices...

Denis

P.S. The workaround to this problem is to launch the "full job" from the policies screen (as it is missing in the jobs screen) manually. Then, you can do incremental without BE crashing. At least it worked for me :)