cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 nightmare

Rob_Pelletier
Level 4

SBS 2003 SP2.

Upgraded to BE 2010 R2 from BE 12.5 the other day.

The Backup Exec Server service won't start up - just stays on "Sarting".

Found a techDoc that suggests installing a hotfix, number 348284.

Downloaded it and tried to install - message says:

"This package is for media servers only."  Well, I AM trying to install it on a media server, and this message doesn't help a bit!

What also doesn't help is the fact that they don't support trials, so I am stuck without a backup solution and the hotfix won't install and there is not one single document on the site (or in the forum) that comes up when searching for "This package is for media servers only."

So, I need to wait, probably for days, before someone responds to this with something helpful - meanwhile, no backup.

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated - must be something so obvious, otherwise you'd think there would be a document somewhere that would help...

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Rob,

Your first step should be to patch BE 2010 R2 with the available patches from LiveUpdate. Once done, check to see if your services have started up.

Did you get any errors during the upgrade?

Rob_Pelletier
Level 4

The upgrade seemed to go smoothly, but the server service never started.  Now several services won't start.  I'd love to reboot the server, but can't during business hours.

LiveUpdate was run, and several hotfixes were installed as a result.  Again, no errors.  Can't run LiveUpdate any more, because BE won't start without the services running.

If the update packages can't even detect tha tthis is a a media server, I'm not sure there's much point in going further.

I can't believe I'm the only pereson in the world that has been unable to install this hotfix, or who has had the message:  "This package is for media servers only." 

I have written to their sales department, informing them that their unwillingness to support the trials is rather shortsighted.  Can't say I expect much relief, but the client asked me to do so, so I did...

Thanks for your reply.

Rob_Pelletier
Level 4

Turns out the package I was tryin g to install was for an earlier build, so that's why it wouldn't install.  The message I got wasn't very helpful, but that's what it was.

I installed as many patches for my build as I could find (Build 4164), but still have had no luck getting the Backup Exec Server service to start.

Especially frustrating is the fact that the event viewer shows nothing relevant - all I get are mesages when it shuts down (the beserver service), but they don't give me any clues as to why.

<Sigh!>

Symantec can sure be a frustrating company sometimes!

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Its strange that the Event viewer does not give any relevant error. Pleasse reconfirm the same again (check in Application as well as System log)

Then go to command prompt and browse to the Backup Exec installation folder (by default it is C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec)

Here type the following as shown below:

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec> beserver.exe -console > C:\result.txt

When you run the command result.txt  file will be generated on thhe C: drive which will have the logs. Please check this file if you can find any errors in this.

If possible please upload this file to this forum..

Thanks,

-Sush...

Rob_Pelletier
Level 4

When running the command as suggested, the result.txt file is created but empty.

The command is followed in the command shell window by:

C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\Backup Exec>beserver -console>c:\result.txt

MSGQ Data File: 0: msgq0000000000.dat

Sorted: 0: msgq0000000000.dat

The following pop-up also comes up:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library : Runtime Error!

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

I rebooted the server and that same message shows up in the eventvwr as an event ID 26.

Sush---
Level 6

Go to "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data"  location and delete the msgq0000000000.dat file.

Now restart all Backup Exec services in following order:

Backup Exec Remote Agent service

Backup Exec Device and Media service

Backup Exec Server service

Backup Exec Job Engine service

Backup exec Agent Browser service

Now check if the services are started or not. Again confirm if you are getting the

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library : Runtime Error! 

Thanks,

-Sush...

Rob_Pelletier
Level 4

I did as you suggested:  deleted the .dat file, and restarted the services in order.

As before, the Visual C++ Runtime event log error came up when starting the BESERVER service.  The service timed out (Error 1053) and is left in the "Starting" state in the services list.

<Sigh!>  I really thought you'd solved it!

Thanks.

VJware
Level 6

Repair or re-install the .NET framework.

Rob_Pelletier
Level 4

I did a .NET repair earlier in the troubleshooting process.  Didn't help.

However, I did add some patches/hotfixes since then, and deleted that .dat file and rebooted.

Maybe trying that again would be helpful.

Can't believe how much trouble this product has been.  Hard to believe the client still has faith in it (or in me).

VJware
Level 6

There was an issue with certain MS patches corrupting the .NET framework. If possible, un-install & re-install .NET 3.0 SP2 from <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7&displaylang=en>