cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 - source-side deduplication errors with Direct Access

danielmiller
Level 2
I am getting the following error everytime I attempt to run a backup with Direct Access enabled:

"Direct Access is enabled for this job, but it could not be used"

I confirm that I have enabled this by doing Configure devices assistant -> Deduplication Option -> Remote Agent with Direct Access.   The client adds succesfully, and I restarted all services on both the server and client.

I also confirm that the Deduplication Storage Folders do appear under each client that was added in the devices screen

Although not all of the following services were automatically started, I was sure to start them before the backup:
Backup Exec PureDisk Filesystem Service
Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems
Backup Exec Error Recording Service

The machines I have tried this on are Windows 7 32-bit and Windows Server 2008 w/SP2 x64.  Both give the same error.

Backups are deduplicated, but only after they are transferred over the network (server-side).

Any ideas what's going on here?
16 REPLIES 16

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
After you added enabled direct access on the remote agents did you cycle the services on the media server?

danielmiller
Level 2
Yep, cycled them on the media server.  When that didn't work I restarted all services on the clients as well.  Still no luck.  I then rebooted all machines. Still nothing.  Are there more detailed logs somewhere I can look at?

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
What do you have in the selections? I assume it is the windows 7 client you are trying to backup, but what resources there? Have you  tried selecting a single windows 7 client and some data on its local drive? Also, are you using PDDE or classic puredisk. Make sure that the device does have remote access enabled in its properties.

Thanks

miikat
Not applicable
Partner
I encountered the same direct access problem when backing up Domino 8.5.1 with remote agent. I don't have a opensource device, the dedupe device
is a dedicated lun on the media server. The remote agent appears in the device tab, but with backup I get the error:

Backup- domino851|Tran Logs d:\lotus\domino\data E:
Direct Access is enabled for this job, but it could not be used.

//miikat

danielmiller
Level 2
I am backing just My Documents on my Windows 7 client.  I believe I am using PDDE (how can I tell?).  Does it matter that my Windows 7 client is 32-bit? I've attached a screenshot.   It seems like everything is properly setup.

Also, in the devices screen, the Deduplication Storage Folders do not accurately show the deduplication ratio.  It is always 1:1. Is this a known issue of the beta?

Thanks

Devices.png

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
I am backing just My Documents on my Windows 7 client.  I believe I am using PDDE (how can I tell?) If the job is set to use the Deduplication folder then you are using PDDE

Does it matter that my Windows 7 client is 32-bit? No, but if you are attempting to use direct access make sure you have enabled direct access on the remote agent.  From the screen shot it appears you have already done this.

That ratio (1:1) is for the entire folder, not for the backup job.  To see the ration for the job itself then you will need to look at the Job History on the Job Monitor tab.  The last column is for the deduplication ratio.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
In order to perform client side dedup, there are three places you need to check:
1. The remote machine must be added to devices list, which you have i assume from the screenshot.
2. In backup job, the dedup device must be selected and allow option must be selected.
3. There must be only one client in the selection list.
4. in the properties of dedup device, you must have "allow direct access... " selected.

Also, how are you coming to a conclusion that client side dedup did not happen? You may want to monitor using sgmon on the remote machine to understand if the client is directly interacting with the device. Regarding, the compression factor, check the job log for specific details.

Thanks

jwoodpdx
Level 3
I'm having problems restoring from backup performed with client dedup installed.
The jobs seem to work ok when it is turned off.

The errors are as follows.

Any thoughts?

Job ended: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 at 3:37:48 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084ed - A hardware error occurred.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34029

tekdeck
Level 3
Probably not the reason for your error, but I have received this when the source folder for the restore has been renamed or no longer there, the backup was from "Folder1" but when attempting to restore files/folders from "Folder1" which is no longer in original location I would receive same error.

mickelingon
Level 5
Partner

Hi

I'm going to through you a question regarding this.

I also have problem with direct access, but when I add the server for direct access, I don't get the dedup folder under it.

Does anyone know why?

Mike

tekdeck
Level 3

Direct Access Issues - I have been having the same issues, Direct Access is enabled, services have been recycled, it really is a no-brainer... but cannot get to work, in fact I cannot get Symantec Support to even return my calls on this case, very frustrating. Deduplication is working but on the media server which does not meet all of our objectives.

We are now flattening our  media server and have downloaded a demo of DoubleTake.

Tthere is another product out there for those with a generous budget, it is called Avamar, it has been around for quite a few years, was purchased by EMC a few years ago though. I have tested this product in house with production backups, it is quite remarkable, it performs a patented bit-level commonality if you will, nothing comes close to it out there, I have just never been able to push through the cost... I have tested or demo about everything on the market the past 5 years and Avamar is the best by far.

Unfortuanetly like many of us, Symantec has been in-house since the early days, it still is a clunker, support is about as low-level as it comes, but sometimes it is easier to upgrade and deal with the white-elephant we have always dealt with.

Steve

mickelingon
Level 5
Partner

Hi

I solved it. There were som ports not specified in any Symantec document I found that I had to add.

Mike

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I solved it. There were som ports not specified in any Symantec document I found that I had to add.

Care to expand on which ports, incase someone else has the same problem?

mickelingon
Level 5
Partner
Hi

Sorry for the late answer
10102 and 10082

Saravana
Level 3
Hi Ken,

Could you please share me the procedure, how to add those ports?

mickelingon
Level 5
Partner
Hi

I had to add those to the firewall, in our case a checkpoint fw

Mike