cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010 won't use empty disk folder

thllgo
Level 3

Hello and thanks in advance for any help you might be.  

Problem:  BE 2010 keeps trying to backup to a full disk folder when I have another disk folder empty.  I just inheirited this setup and am new to BE.  I have tried to google this problem but have not been able to find an answer.

Under the Devices tab I have 4 disk based backup devices defined.  Simply Disk-Folder-1, ... Disk-Folder-4.  Folders 1-3 are full, folder 4 is empty.

I have a media set called  VMware-Incremental

I have a job that uses VMware-incremental.  The job keeps trying to backup to Disk-Folder-2 which is full, how do I tell it to use 4?

I'm at a loss to determine how to tell what media set uses what device.

Any Help will be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You can setup a device pool and target the jobs to the pool.

Note I with older Backup Exec versiona (such as 2010) I think it will then round robin choose which of the B2D devices in the pool to use. Also whilst you might be able to span non-GRT sets from one device to another mid-job (if first device fills up), GRT sets have start and finish in one device, so cannot span between devices so you may stil have to be carefil with the data retenions and target devcies in the job settings to avoid having GRT sets fill a device.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You need to edit your job and under Device and Media, change the Device to the correct B2D folder.  It is not the media set that you have to worry about.

thllgo
Level 3

That will work.  Thank you.

But, won't that restrict it to a single folder?  I was hoping I could somehow tell the job to use all the folders.  When a folder is full just move on to the next folder.  By the time it fills the next folder the jobs in the first will expire and can be overwritten.

I guess I could just edit the jobs at the begining of a week and tell them to move on to the next folder.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You can setup a device pool and target the jobs to the pool.

Note I with older Backup Exec versiona (such as 2010) I think it will then round robin choose which of the B2D devices in the pool to use. Also whilst you might be able to span non-GRT sets from one device to another mid-job (if first device fills up), GRT sets have start and finish in one device, so cannot span between devices so you may stil have to be carefil with the data retenions and target devcies in the job settings to avoid having GRT sets fill a device.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
BE 2010 uses the first available device in the Device pool. To force it to use the next device, you got to offline all the devices except for the one that you want to use. There is no need to edit your jobs

thllgo
Level 3

Thank you