Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010

Mohamed_Amr
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Dears.

May I ask regarding to the BE VSS Components file System..?

What is the function of taking a snapshot of the writer ? and why the writer (as a component ) is included in the selection list ?

As I know the writer is a code to handle the services settelement (holding) as BE can use it's VSS during the backup operations..

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I think you're talking about Shadow Copies...? You need to back this up if you have a DFS.

Best bet would be to download the BE 2010 Admin Guide and read up on this section specifically.

BE uses various writers in order to back up applications/files etc...you wouldn't take a snapshot of the writer.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

There are a number of specific VSS items named after Backup Exec

1) The "Backup Exec DeDuplication Storage Writer" - This should only be present on a media server configured with teh DeDuplication Option and is there to provide VSS snapshot capability against the DeDuplication environment for DR purposes. (visible in VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS and as "Backup Exec DeDuplication Storage" in a backup selection list)

2) The "Backup Exec VSS Provider" - Used in Virtual Machines as part of the snapshot process for AVVI backups (visible in Services list)

3) The "BeVssProvider" - Again used in Virtual Machines as part of the snapshot process for AVVI backups. Is actually the same executable as for option 2. This name should only be present during an AVVI backup operation and should not be seen when no backup is running. It is created by pre-freeze-script.bat and removed by post-thaw-script.bat, which are part of the AVVI process. (visible in Services list during an AVVI backup.)

If the above does not help we might need a screenshot of what you are asking about.

zidanski
Level 3
Partner

i think my colleague ask about the following:

- does the BE create its own writers for some applications which didn't have their own writers? and is that what is called VSS Snapshot-plugins?

- why BE documentations mention that in selection list "Writers appear as Shadow Copy
Components, which are listed as resources in backup and restore selections.", meanwhile the writers as code aren't an actual resource rather than a helper in VSS process?