Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2010r3 Environment Check

Shisno
Level 3

After running the environment check, I receive the following warning:

"Symantec Backup Exec version 0.0 is installed on this computer...."

We used to have 2012 but, decided we wanted to roll-back to 2010r3 (due to the number of backup jobs we need).  My question is, can I just proceed with the install or, is there something I will have to do to eliminate this error?  I tried installing yesterday but, had a major SQL error and had to follow the manual removal process.

9 REPLIES 9

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Before installing BE2010 I would recoomend checking any Symantec backup exec version seen In add remove programs

Also as this is warning ,I think you can install this as this is not an error ,you should be able to install BE2010

Thanks

Shisno
Level 3

There's nothing in add/remove programs referencing backup exec (which is why I had to remove manually yesterday).

Alright, I will give the install a go.  Thanks for the confirmation.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Just in case to double check has you have removed manually check below link everything is removed properly

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH50720

I presume after removing manually you have restarted server once 

Thanks

Shisno
Level 3

Also, would I need to install BE server in a single-computer use scenario.  Or, could I just install the agent?  (We're backing up to a rotation of 12 External HDD's).

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Agent only would be required on remote server when you want to backup something from remote server to media server so in that case uninstall remote agent of BE2012 present on remote server and then install remote agent for BE2010

Thanks

Shisno
Level 3

Just to clarify... since you mention remote and media servers.  

I just want to backup one server to an external HDD.  So, I could simply use the remote agent and use that to backup to HDD correct?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

If it is only one server then backup exec is what you all need and remote agent is part of backup exec installed on that server

So yes installing backup exec would help you to do what you want here.

As only installing remote agent won't server the purpose here.

Thanks

Shisno
Level 3

Thank you very much for your help.  Will post here if any issues arise.

Shisno
Level 3

I am still working on this, unfortunately.  The last 2 attempts I've made to install failed (my own fault).  I am trying today, and will let you know how it goes.  Sorry for taking so long to update you.