cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 Cannot connect to the SQL server

gmunyadzwe
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I am trying to install BE 2012 on a physical server and not getting it to work. The following is the message i get:

"cannot connect to microsoft sql server servername. on the remote sql server, verify that:
-the remote client connections are allowed. by default, sql server 2005 express, evaluation, or developer editions allow local client connections only. for more information refer to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178763.aspx.
-the user who is currently logged on to this system is a member of the administrators group on SQL server servername\dbinstance"

where servername is the name of the server (removed for security)

I am using an external database server in a clustered configuration. I use one of the sql cluster members as the SQL (not the cluster name, though either the server name or cluster name doesnt work also). The instance name was used before for a previous server (VM) that has now been decommisioned. I moved the DB files away after stopping the instance (named), tried and still no luck.

I am using the same username on the BE server and on the SQL.

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Best to rather use SQL Express on the local server. It's lightweight, requires no license, is easy to setup and maintain (BE does the maintenance for you), and a backup is created every night of the BEDB (bedb.bak).

While a remote SQL server is supported for the BEDB, I've seen more queries logged for that on Connect than trying to install SQL Express and the BEDB on this locally. If you restart the SQL server, or take it down for maintenance, BE would be affected completely...no backups, restores etc. until that remote SQL server is brought back up (cluster or not).

Thanks!

gmunyadzwe
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks CraigV This is how the client wants it configured though. Would this be a Symantec or a Microsoft issue, as it has to be done either way

CraigV

Read the article by Nick Elmer below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/using-custom-sql-instance-backup-exec-installs

Also consider changing the name used by the BEDB when installing it. If you use a physical node, when the cluster fails over from that node BE would probably crash, so use the virtual name of the cluster.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do enable Named Pipes & TCP/IP protocols using cliconfg. Then, try manually adding the Backup Exec user as sysadmin on the remote SQL server. Retry using this SQL instance.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Note that the BEDB should be in its own instance and not sharing some instance with production databases.  See this document

BEDB SQL instance should not share a SQL instance with other applications

CraigV

...the other thing to check out is the link below on a custom installation of BE. As mentioned when restarting SQL, it will take BE down. If you ever need to troubleshoot BE which requires a restart of the services, it in turn might also take SQL down! Be aware of this, and try get the customer to use the local installation as per my first post.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO22504

Thanks!