cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 DeDup Option and NDMP Backups

K_Miller
Level 4

Based on what I'm seeing, the NDMP back up streams are not being DeDuplicated or the deduplication ratio is non existent.

My questions is: If I have NDMP disabled on the NetApp filers and back up the volumes via CIFS shares, will I be able to DeDuplicate the data in this manner?

-Kevin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

teiva-boy
Level 6
Symantec uses stream handlers to read data. NDMP is something BE doesn't have a stream handler for. But Netbackup does. Yet another artificial limitation in BE. Think of stream handlers as a translator for data. It can either understand the data stream and whats within, or not. Yes CIFS backups will dedupe usually fine, if its a more common data set like office files.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes. Definitely.  Dedup ratio is dependent on the nature of your data.

teiva-boy
Level 6
Symantec uses stream handlers to read data. NDMP is something BE doesn't have a stream handler for. But Netbackup does. Yet another artificial limitation in BE. Think of stream handlers as a translator for data. It can either understand the data stream and whats within, or not. Yes CIFS backups will dedupe usually fine, if its a more common data set like office files.

K_Miller
Level 4

I am picking up data from multiple remote NetApp filers containing file & print data... mostly end user generated but there is a lot of it. Although we have purchased the NDMP option liceses, it now appears they are useless...!

Any idea if BE stream handlers will support NDMP is this respect... Not only do I have licenses, I've got 4 years of prepaidd maintenance... arrggg!

-k 

teiva-boy
Level 6
If you move to an OST device like Datadomain it supports deduplicating NDMP backups. But BackupExec cannot deduplicate NDMP. Netbackup can deduplicate NDMP, both Netapp and CX/VNX file, but its really not that good.

K_Miller
Level 4

I'm running NetBackup in our primary data centers, but the NetApps in scope here are located at small remote offices. No budget for enterprise Software and DeDup appliances. If I can get the data on these devices to Dedup via backups from CIFS shares, we will be OK.

-k

teiva-boy
Level 6
Can you snap mirror the remote filers and back them up centrally? Or if NBU is licensed for dedupe, mount the shares on a client and back that up over the wan? You really do not want to manage two different products! Especially an inferior one to NBU

K_Miller
Level 4

Two? I wish... My team is currently administering 5 backup applications across multiple continents... We have and are developing skill sets around our Symantec products... It is some of the other strategies that we're trying to eliminate. Unfortunately we don't have budget to deploy NBU to our remote offices but the idea has been tossed around. Would require us to move to the capacity based licensing module but these decisions are made at much higher levels than I... We'll be looking at our alternatives but we have an immediate need to perform backups now.

-k

teiva-boy
Level 6

How about a starter edition of NetBackup?  It's a NBU standard server, 5 client licenses and a tape drive license for about $5k list.  You can't buy it ala carte for cheaper than that!  BackupExec would only be slightly cheaper.  So use the argument that the TCO is better on NBU for standardization, over BackupExec.

You may want to look into a product like EMC's Data Protection Advisor for backup reporting, as it can cross report on multiple mainstream backup products (Symantec, EMC, IBM, HP, CA, etc) among other things...