Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012: Extremely slow just to open

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi all. 

I have two entirely unrelated 2008 R2 servers, both are Hyper-V hosts with two VMs.  I am having speed related issues en masse with one of them, where things like a network file copy goes at about 340KB/sec (yes, KB).  That's one issue.  But it also seems the host is extremely slow.  For example I downloaded SEP 12.1.4 Part 1 file. a self-exracting EXE.  When extracting, it gives a data rate as well.  On that, it was about 600KB/sec, and htis being ona  6-core host server with 15K SAS drives under almost zero load. 

So, I would say the server needs fixing or something but here is the problem:

BE takes about 225 seconds to load from when I double-click the icon, to when it is finaly up and showing me a list of (3) backup jobs/server/whatever  (the host, and 2 VMs).  175 seconds of this was just BE opening, not evecn at the Loading Data progress bar. 

To compare, I opened BE on anotrher host server in a different environment but with all the same verseions and setup, and it also took a very long time, something like 150+ seconds. 

So to me, BE is just really slow?  Has anybody seen this?  I vaguely recall back when I first installed it, that it never took anywhere near this long.  And there's nothing worthwhile mentioning regarding catalogs and data - the server with the issues has been online for only a few weeks and my comparison server for one 1 week, so there's no giant database of historrical data to chug through. 

Thanks! 

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I would say your issue lies with the host going by everything else that appears to be slow on it. If you turn off all other VMs, do you get the same issue?

Thanks!

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Seems for sure that's the case here.  My comparison system has no known problems but also takes a very long time though.  On a server you have there that's running fine, 2008 R2, how long does ti take to open BE 2012?  From click of the icon to when it shows the home screen (or whateever it displays be default)

I just need something as a general reference.  Thank you. 

CraigV

...I run BE 2012 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 VM with 2GB RAM (my laptop only has 4GB) and 1 x vCPU. Takes about 15 seconds or so to open up if that is any reference.

Sorry for only replying now...just saw this!

Thanks!

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

That's ok, takes me forever to check my posts sometimes, I get caught up in other work and weeks later I am back to checking posts. 

Anyway, this BE situation turned otu to be more of a general server problem.  The server was slow in all respects, so it wasn'tr BE at all. BE opens in just a few seconds now. 

The interesting thing is that the whole server performance issue went away on its own for a few days, then it came back one morning.  The user near the server reported that she heard the tape drive make some noise for abougt 5 seconds, then suddenly the server as running full speed.  The difference was immediately apparent so whatever happened, that bit of tape drive activity immediately preceded the server going to normal. 

Yte there were no backups or otehr jobs happening, so I don't know if this was a tape drive hardware issue or something else.  The server has again been fine since then so I am forced to just leave things be for now. 

CraigV

...your tape drive manufacturer should have a diagnostic tool that you can use. HP for instance have Library and Tape Tools (HP LTT). Download the diagnostic utility and check to see if there are any hardware issues.

What model server is this too?

Thanks!

MIXIT
Level 6
Partner Accredited

It's a Dell PowerEdge T420, internal LTO3 drive.  But in this case since the poblem is intermittent enough, those diags won't show anything.  At least half of all problems are never detectable by diags software, though granted I have a biased view on that since I worked at HP once and their server diags were pretty useless back then. 

I did run Dell's version of them though, but well, it didn't do tape so I suspect I missed a tool they might have for Dell just for tape drives, like LTT for HP.  Do you know what they have? 

CraigV