cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 Hyper-V VM restore

dlt1928
Level 3

I’m using BE 2012 to backup up a Windows 2008 R2 server with Hyper-v with 4 VM’s running on it.  I have the BE Hyper-V agent installed on the host 2008 R2 server.  I run a full backup on Fridays and incrementals during the week.  I have a couple of questions.

If/when I need to restore a VM in the middle of the week, in the restore wizard, do I check the last incremental AND the last full backup?

The second question – which may be out of the scope of this forum – can I do the restore to a different host?  (that host also running 2008 R2 with Hyper-V).

would like to get some input before I test this.

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Unlike previous versions of BE, BE 2012 is smart enough to know that when you select an incremental backup, it needs to restore the last full backup and all the incremental backups between the last full backup and the incremental backup that you want to restore.  This applies to all backups, not just VM backups. See this blog

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/simplified-restore-workflow-be-2012

In your case, you should only select the Wed. incremental backup.  When you also select the full backup, it is restored twice.  Hence the warning message that you got.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi If/when I need to restore a VM in the middle of the week, in the restore wizard, do I check the last incremental AND the last full backup? Ans No, it would be last full backup and all incremental till that date. The second question – which may be out of the scope of this forum – can I do the restore to a different host? (that host also running 2008 R2 with Hyper-V). Ans Yes ,you can restore virtual machine to different host.r You can also convert from virtual to physical see admin guide for more details on how to do it. Thanks

dlt1928
Level 3

Hi Sameer,

On the question of ' do I check the last incremental AND the last full backup?' and your response of ' No, it would be last full backup and all incremental till that date.' - in going through the restore wizard and checking the last full and incremental boxes the below message pops up, which leads me to believe that I ‘should not’ select all incrementals and the last full.  (lets say I need to do a restore after a Wednesday night backup.  If I select the last Full and all the incrementals up to Wednesday night, the below box pops up).  The below pop up leads me to believe there is a possibility of  ‘some items being restored multiple times’.  Can you shed some light on what the below message is REALLY trying to tell me?

Message that pops up:

"Each point in time represents a combined view of all the data from the last full backup to the selected point in time.

Backup Exec automatically restores the selected data from previous incremental or differential backups and the previous full backup as necessary, so it is usually no necessary to make selections from more than on point in time.  If you do, it could result in reduced performance due t some items being restored multiple times."

Thanks much,

dlt1928

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Unlike previous versions of BE, BE 2012 is smart enough to know that when you select an incremental backup, it needs to restore the last full backup and all the incremental backups between the last full backup and the incremental backup that you want to restore.  This applies to all backups, not just VM backups. See this blog

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/simplified-restore-workflow-be-2012

In your case, you should only select the Wed. incremental backup.  When you also select the full backup, it is restored twice.  Hence the warning message that you got.

dlt1928
Level 3

Ok people, I’m getting conflicting advice here.  PKH is telling me ‘In your case, you should only select the Wed. incremental backup. When you also select the full backup, it is restored twice. Hence the warning message that you got.’ and Sameer is telling me in an off post email ‘you always have to select last full backup & incremental till date.  So the message what you are getting is an informational message were Backup exec is smart enough to link all your incremental backup till the date you are looking to restore. So there should not be any duplicate entries’

I’d test this but the server I need to test on doesn’t have the space if this thing tries to restore several copies of the VM.  Is there anybody out there that’s actually done this?  Or Sameer, you work for Symantec, can I assume your answer has been tested?  I need to get this figured out because I have to do a ‘demo’ for the execs on this procedure.

dlt1928

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Just to add a final comment .I have done testing yesterday

So in your case please select the last incremental restore for the date your are looking to do restore with , It will merge your last full & incremental till date automatically. will not create mutiple copies.

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This contradicts your earlier advice, so my answer is correct.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Agree what PKH has mention is right in this case.

Thanks