cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 VMware agent backup directly to tape.

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

I have ESXi VSphare 5 (three server).

Alll the VM were in the EMC VNX storage server.

VCenter server.

I have VMware agent (Three) , one windows agent and tape library option (for extra Drive).

We were planning to take VM backup directly to tape.

As I have seen the "Best Practrice" for VMWare agent backup where its states that the backup to take on the disk rather to tape.

Here is the link:-

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74443 

So , If I take backup directly to tape what could be the issue.

Any Ideas.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Is your tape drive connected to a seperate a Media server which is a physical server or Media server is virtual machine running on ESX 

Else tape drive is connected to ESX then it is considered as Alternate configuration in simple words not a supported configuration

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70246

If your Media server is a seperate server with tape drive connected, then there are no issue and only need to know that whenever you to a GRT restore like a file restore from a virtual machine it would stage the whole virtual machine locally on the Media server local drive and then would restore data and that in comparison to disk the same restore if you attempt would be a direct a restore

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Is your tape drive connected to a seperate a Media server which is a physical server or Media server is virtual machine running on ESX 

Else tape drive is connected to ESX then it is considered as Alternate configuration in simple words not a supported configuration

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH70246

If your Media server is a seperate server with tape drive connected, then there are no issue and only need to know that whenever you to a GRT restore like a file restore from a virtual machine it would stage the whole virtual machine locally on the Media server local drive and then would restore data and that in comparison to disk the same restore if you attempt would be a direct a restore

Thanks

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

The tape is having FC and is connected with the SAN switch.

The VMware server and the Storage are also connected with this SAN switch.

No, The BE 2012 is not a VM server IT's a physical server.

Edit.....

The backup server will also be connected with SAN switch.

Thanks

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

There are no disadvantages and should be fine to backup virtual machines backup to tape. Apart from the one I have suggested while doing a GRT restore depending on size of VM it would the stage the infromation to local drive of Media server and perform restore

Hope that helps

Thanks

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

We are not enabling any GRT (Even Files & Folder ).

I guess that will not required any disk space for restoration.

Thanks.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Yes in that case the restore from tape would be direct too when you restore entire VMDK as GRT would be disabled

Thanks