cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 and Exchange 2010 DAG - SQL backup issue.

Sputnik
Level 3

Trying to backup an Exchange 2010 DAG.

The mailbox databases back up fine.  However, there is an MS SQL instance associated with the DAG that I cannot connect to.

BE2012 see's the SQL instance, but I cannot authenticate against it using any accounts I know.  Unsure how to manage it to check permissions as it appears to be a SQL Compact Edition database.  I assume it stores information about the DAG.

Jobs keep failing due to not being able to connect and backup this database.  BE2012 reports it as: 

---- Unable to attach to dag1.x.x\MICROSOFT##SSEE.  (x's to replace hostname).

We are running BE2012 SP1a on a dedicated backup server - Windows Server 2008R2 x64 with latest patches.

Any suggestions?

15 REPLIES 15

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi If you want to backup that SQL database ,it should be backup under SQL icon on that server if SQL license in installed, it should exist underneath 'Microsoft SQL Server "Microsoft##SSEE"'as a sql database selection. Confirm that the SQL option is used to backup this database on the machine. Thanks

Sputnik
Level 3

The SQL option DOES appear in the BE dialog. (Along with the Exchange options etc etc...)

In selection list it appears as:

DAG.hostname

-----Microsoft SQL Server Instances

----------MICROSOFFT##SSEE  <--- Cannot authenticate against this to backup.

-----Microsoft Information Store

I have tried local admin, and adding the BE account to the SQL group on that server.

sbora
Level 6

Connect to this SQL instance in SQL management studio as suggested in following technote:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH64434

Once connected to the instance go to Security-Logins and check if backup exec account is added and has admin permissions if not add it and assign it server admin permissions.

Can you also attach a screenshot of the backup selections showing the error when trying to connect to this instance?

Sputnik
Level 3

Will try what you posted sbora.  In the meantime, here is the requested screen shot:

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi Are you able to connect to the instance using SQL studio , please check use SQL studio if you can connect to that instance ,if it is not connecting that means it is not In use so no need to resolve that issue first. Thanks

Sputnik
Level 3

OK, attached to the compact edition database.

Added the BE account as sysadmin everywhere I could.

Detached and attached the databases, (except system dbs).

Checked TCPIP and Named Pipes were enabled.

Restarted the SQL instance.  Still cannot connect using typical accounts, (BE or local admin).

I discovered the SQL instance is used by Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS).

Sputnik
Level 3

OK... Looks like I might be sunk... 

SQL Server Management Studio Express can be used to connect to an instance of Windows Internal Database using \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query as instance name. But this will only work locally, as Remote Connections cannot be enabled for this edition of SQL Server.

So... Is there a way I can get my DAG to backup with ADFS or do I need to just concentrate on getting the mailboxes backed up?  (IE Exclude the compact edition db).

sbora
Level 6

Is this SQL instance showing up under DAG (database availability group) node? Under DAG node only Exchange 2010 databases should show up and SQL instance ideally will show up under the actual node name. 

Can you check if this SQL instance also show up when browsing the actual node's backup selection?

Sputnik
Level 3

It appears under the DAG selection.

If I browse backup selection, I see under the DAG node, MS SQL Server Instances as well as MS Information Store. (See screenshot above, the DAG name is scrubbed out for security).

If I go to Selection Details, I see only DAG1.domainname - Include *.*

Suspect it is part of the DAG since we are using ADFS to integrate with MS 365 hosted exchange.

As stated previously, my Exchange mailboxes back up fine.  But backup fails due to the ADFS SQL database not being able to be backed up.

sbora
Level 6

SQL instance should not show up under DAG node in backup selection. Can you check under the physical node if this instance also show up there. 

Can you create a support case for this issue and send me the case id?

Sputnik
Level 3

I will.  We have current support contract.  However it will have to be Monday as I'm on leave for the rest of the week sorry.

Cheers.

sbora
Level 6

No problem. Please message me the case id once you have created it.

Sputnik
Level 3

Support case is lodged.

Case ID is: 420-052-528

Thanks.

sbora
Level 6

The case has already been escalated and we have also updated backline team working in your time zone to assist on the case and take over if required.

Thanks,

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Symantec has aknowledge this issue for same please check link below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH198001

Please click on Subscirbe so that whenever there are any updates released to fix this issue ,you will be notified

Thanks