cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 not backing up

BElearner
Level 4

I am facing this strange issue, there are no jobs running on the status bar, but the "number of recent jobs" tells me that there is atleast one job that is running. When I try to run the jobs manually, the jobs do not run because " no idle devices are available". I am using windows server 2008 R2. I have also attached a picture of my problem.

Desperately seeking for some help.be_job.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BElearner
Level 4

Finally got it working by stopping and restarting the service "Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows servers". For some reason, the service was stuck. But thank you for all the suggestions above

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

The error indicates that your storage targets are not available.  This could be offline or busy stuff on the storage tab.  Or it could be jobs that are targetted to old/missing devices.

refer  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH192576

On the Home tab, check the Active Alerts section.  Be sure the Time is set to show All because the default is 'Last 12 hours'.  Then see if there is a pending alert pertaining to a recent job.  You can also see if there are pending alert by looking at the Alerts count for each type at the bottom edge of the UI.

Also, check if the Job Queue is on hold.  Go to the 'Backup and Restore' tab and look to the right side of ribbon.  There is a 'Hold Job Queue' button there...see if there if it's box is checked.  If it were, you should have also noticed the warning 'The job queue is on hold' when viewing the Storage.

BElearner
Level 4

Hello Rahul G, There are no active jobs running, the server is online and there are old/missing devices. There are no alerts either. I have recreated the jobs, but i am still getting the same messages. However, the "number of active jobs" icon at the bottom still showing 1 job running. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Restart all the BE services

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If restarting the BE services doesn't help, use BEMCLI and check if there are any active jobs running or not.

BElearner
Level 4

Restarted the BE services, but only one job runs fine, others stay in  "queue", even if there are no other jobs running. any clue?

VJware
Level 6

Is the option "preallocate disk space...." enabled under the disk storage's properties ? If yes, disable it.

Secondly is BE 2012 completey patched up ? (Click on the BE button - Installation & Licensing - Installed Updates. Which updates are listed ?)

BElearner
Level 4

"preallocate disk space...." is disabled, but there are two new updates: Service Pack 4 and Hotfix 217347. Will try updating both and see how it goes. 

BElearner
Level 4

Cannot run the SP4 installer. Says "atleast one job is running" but none of the jobs are running.  Cannot run the installer until that job is done, but honestly there are no jobs running. When I click  "On hold", i can see BE is pointing out to a job that's not even running (Picture below). Even though i uncheck the box, the active job status does not change at all, it still shows 1 active job running. 

active_job.JPGHave started the BE server like 10 times already...any clue?

VJware
Level 6

Remove the "Hold" queue option. And then if you check the active job as displayed in the pop-up and click OK, does it get cancelled ?

Have you tried to list active jobs via BEMCLI and tried to cancel from there ?

Lastly, have you tried deleting this backup job and then running the installer for SP4 ?

BElearner
Level 4

Have not tried BEMCLI, will learn how to use it first and then give it a go...if nothing works, I will delete the backup job and run the installer...thanks for the suggestion..will update soon!

BElearner
Level 4

Is there a command to stop a job on BEMCLI, tried this command but didnot work:

Get-BEJob -Status "Active" | 
Stop-BEJob | 
ft –auto 

The command runs but exectues with this:

InputObject[0]:

VJware
Level 6

Out of curiousity, does pressing F5 refresh the status on the UI ?

BElearner
Level 4

No it does not. Is there a command to stop a job on BEMCLI? 

BElearner
Level 4

Finally got it working by stopping and restarting the service "Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows servers". For some reason, the service was stuck. But thank you for all the suggestions above