cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE 2012 restore from BE 9 back tape

kinsleung
Level 0

Current backup server: Win2003, Veritas backup exec 9, LTO3 Tape library, Backup content is file level backup.

To be upgrade : Win2012, Backup Exec 2012 V-RAY Edition, LTO6 Tape library.

My question is can I using BE 2012 + LTO6 tape drive to restore file from my LTO3 old tape ? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Using BE 2012, you can restore from the LTO3 tape if you can read it.  Unfortunately, a LTO6 tape drive can only read LTO6, LTO5 and LTO4 tapes. It cannot read from or write to LTO3 tapes.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Using BE 2012, you can restore from the LTO3 tape if you can read it.  Unfortunately, a LTO6 tape drive can only read LTO6, LTO5 and LTO4 tapes. It cannot read from or write to LTO3 tapes.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you're upgrading your environment to BE 2012, then you should possibly look at the following:

1. Upgrade the server to BE 2012.

2. If you can connect the LTO6 library to the current media server, do so...

3. Create duplicate jobs to duplicate the information from the LTO3 tapes to the LTO6 tapes.

Thanks!

EvgeniyL
Level 5

What create duplicate jobs to duplicate the information from the LTO3 tapes to the LTO6 tapes if tape LTO3 has already been recorded ?

CraigV

...if you read the OP's original comments he is moving to an LTO6 library. As pkh correctly stated, LTO6 drives will only read 2 generations back, hence LTO4 is the last version of tape he will be able to read. He has an LTO3 drive...that data will be irrecoverable, and unless he wants to maintain 2 different Backup Exec servers (with all the yearly maintenance associated with renewing licenses on both!), he would look at duplicating the information from the LTO3 tapes to LTO6 allowing him to restore.

Thanks!

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

As pkh and CraigV state, you can't read the LTO3 tapes on the LTO6 drive.

Your options seem to be:

• Retain your old backup server
  • Connect the LTO3 library to your new server, in addition to the LTO6 library.
  • Duplicate the data from LTO3 to LTO6.

Those are 3 separate options, not one option with 3 steps, BTW.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified

Is it likely that BE9 will recognise the LTO6 library?

CraigV

Hi Hywel,

Welcome back!

The answer would be no. The OP needs to upgrade the current server to BE 2012. What I did forget was that this is going to be a multistage upgrade...BE 9.x to BE 11d, on to BE 2010 R3, and then on to BE 2012.

Thanks!